Re: A simple PVC PIPE audio filter for the Cricket

Charles W. Powell

I made a pair of these Dixie Cup resonant speakers today.  Remarkably, they have a very sharp peak at 600 Hz (my preferred center frequency).  I opened up the filter on the KX3 and found that the speakers were better than tightening down the filter on the radio.  It is the equivalent of about a 100 Hz filter, but much better sonic quality.  I am impressed!  Now I have extra Dixie cups for summer as well. (I made two because the KX3 needs “stereo” to work “Dual Watch” mode.

One suggestion that was not shown in the YouTube video: After attaching the speaker to the cup, place another cup underneath it, up against the bottom of the speaker, and hot glue it in place.  I found this narrows the bandwidth considerably, and fortunately at just the right frequency (for me, anyway).

72,

Charles - NK8O

On May 3, 2017, at 9:22 PM, 'Sam Neal' n5af@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Hello,

I made it's el-cheapo little brother ( some old issue of Popular Electronics )
out of a Pringles potato chip can and the speaker out of an old CB radio. That
sounded very good, so I can imagine that it's big brother from QST will be
much better.

73,

Sam Neal N5AF
Celebrating 60 Years In Amateur Radio