From: Bob Macklin macklinbob@... [4sqrp]
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 2:22 PM
To: 4sqrp@...; Doug Reid
Subject: Re: [4sqrp] 4SQRP 40 meter net

In the 1980's I worked at the University of Arizona in Tucson. I worked on telescopes on Kitt Peak and Mt. Lemmon.

Lightning was a major problem. If you Google Kitt Peak (KPNO) you can see photos of the lightning.

I received funding from the National Science Foundation and NASA to find solutions to the lightning problem.

We found the best solution was disconnect the incoming power INCLUDING THE GROUND at the entrance to the buildings. Then we disconnected all the electronic systems by pulling the power plugs out of the wall. We had jumper cables connecting all the incoming phone lines. We disconnected them.

We also used semiconductor devices know as TRANSORBS and gas discharge protection devices on all the power lines in the building.

At Mt Lemmon the telescope was in a low building. We installed a 200 foot crankup tower near the telescope. There is what is known as "THE CONE OF PROTECTION". We knew we were going to get lightning hits so we tried to control where they were.

Lightning is totally unpredictable other than the mountain tops will get hit.

Bob Macklin
K5MYJ
Seattle, Wa.
"Real Radios Glow In The Dark"