since lightning jumps through miles of air an excellent insulator there
is not much you can go to stop it except to make somewhere else more
attractive hence lightning rods.

On 6/21/2017 3:41 PM, ronhogrider92@gmail.com [4sqrp] wrote:

I always tell people NOT to provide a path for lightning to flow.

Your posting supports that, thank you Bob.

Ron wb1hga

BTW:

I won’t be on tonight as I hoped. I run a

Windows 10

*From: *Bob Macklin macklinbob@msn.com [4sqrp]
<mailto:4sqrp@yahoogroups.com>
*Sent: *Wednesday, June 21, 2017 2:22 PM
*To: *4sqrp@yahoogroups.com <mailto:4sqrp@yahoogroups.com>; Doug Reid
<mailto:n1068d@yahoo.com>
*Subject: *Re: [4sqrp] 4SQRP 40 meter net

In the 1980's I worked at the University of Arizona in Tucson. I
worked on telescopes on Kitt Peak and Mt. Lemmon.

Lightning was a major problem. If you Google Kitt Peak (KPNO) you can
see photos of the lightning.

I received funding from the National Science Foundation and NASA to
find solutions to the lightning problem.

We found the best solution was disconnect the incoming power INCLUDING
THE GROUND at the entrance to the buildings. Then we disconnected all
the electronic systems by pulling the power plugs out of the wall. We
had jumper cables connecting all the incoming phone lines. We
disconnected them.

We also used semiconductor devices know as TRANSORBS and gas discharge
protection devices on all the power lines in the building.

At Mt Lemmon the telescope was in a low building. We installed a 200
foot crankup tower near the telescope. There is what is known as "THE
CONE OF PROTECTION". We knew we were going to get lightning hits so we
tried to control where they were.

Lightning is totally unpredictable other than the mountain tops will
get hit.

Bob Macklin
K5MYJ
Seattle, Wa.