Re: FT8

Nick-WA5BDU

I made my first FT8 QSO a few days ago. I jokingly said I didn't know whether to be proud or ashamed. :-)

For downloads, you mostly need the one package. Everything is there. I did make the mistake of downloading the *current* revision instead of the latest beta, which is the one that has FT8. I did download another recommended utility that's supposed to keep my PC's time pretty close to actual.

Normally used frequencies for each mode on each band are built in to the software, which is handy. So you just need to set your TX levels and know how to set up the RX.  (USB, broad BW, AGC off ...)

I did some monitoring for a while and checked some YouTube videos on how to make it work. But it's not too difficult.

Going in, I wondered if there was much or any human action required to make QSOs. The answer is, not too much, but you do have to, or get to, initiate the QSO.

I can't very well complain about QSOs with very minimal content, since I do like contests and I do try to work DXpeditions. Most of the FT8 QSOs just exchange callsigns and grid squares and an automatic signal report in dB above or below the noise level. It would be nice to add your name or power level or something. There is a way to do that but I'm not sure how much it's done.

I need to play with it a lot more before I get good at it.

73-

Nick, WA5BDU

On 9/18/2017 4:04 PM, WA0ITP wa0itp@... [4sqrp] wrote:

Anyone out there using FT8?  I'm thinking that trying it may get me past the bad prop blues plus making digital fun again.

Any setup hints, screenshots, frequencies, downloads, equipment, etc?

TIA for any info.

--
72 WAØITP
I love this radio stuff.