Re: What's up in your shack??

Dan Reynolds

I haven't done much hamming in a long time. But I've sure been thinking about it. Well Friday afternoon/evening I sat down at the radio and thought I'd try to make a few QSO's. I'd just read an email about 10 meters and I thought I'd give it a shot.

A few of you know me and know I really like the challenge of QRP SSB. I now have a KX3 and enjoy the option to operate QRO - 10 watts. Wish there were more QRP SSB operators...
On 10 meters it was pretty silent but I ran across, HC5DX, David in Ecuador, and he is a great operator. I waited in line, there was an obvious pile-up and sure enough I got him at 10 watts. I've made very few contacts on 10 meters (ever).
I started moving down the bands and finely settled on 40 meters. I worked CF3SZ in Canada, a special event station in FL (massive pile-up, took me over an hour) and a couple of MI POTA stations.

I remembered why I LOVE ham radio. Again.

I'm going to work on a few projects this winter, keep them small and manageable. I've been too ambitious on some. I also need to shore up my existing antenna, W3EDP. The far end is probably not even up 20'. Being injured last year kind of slowed me down and this year just been lazy. I really want a second antenna of some kind. Maybe another wire or a Black Widow vertical or something... Like Terry, I want to explore some of the newer digital modes.

Dan  --  KB9JLO