Re: QRP is challenged

wa2cky

The new band is, indeed, a challenge.  Forget about QRP for the time being.  Whole new ballgame there in terms of antenna, propagation and the whole bit.  There have been a number of experimental stations out there already so do some web browsing to get a feel for what is required.  This is a place where you are going to have a 'short' antenna but the band width is not great so a matching network at the antenna (fixed tuned?) would seem to be called for.  So lots of fun stuff to tackle.   Have fun.

Bob Groh, WA2CKY

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 8:07 AM, Walter - K5EST walter.k5est@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

For a few minutes the reading about the new 630 meter Ham band had my antenna juices going.......until I actually did the old time 468/fMHz calculation! Yikes......991.5 feets for a dipole at 472KHz. Since I buy wire by the quarter mile and terra firma is plenty, no problem, right?!?

Five watts on 160 meters is challenging at times, so at 472KHz I am just wondering if 5 watts can even reach the ends of the dipole LOL A 50 watt transverter is available and is that the low power level of a new QRP situation?

http://www.monitorsensors.com/ham-radio/630m-transverter

There may be other transverters, but I did not search.

Don't worry, I have no current interest in the new 2200 meter (136 KHz) band. That is getting close to Navy submarine freqs and I'm not a bubble head!

I'm sure more head scratching will follow LOL!!!

73....Walter - K5EST