Re: Need SSS opinions

chuck adams <chuck.adams.k7qo@...>

The QRP ARCI standand for QRP on SSB is 10W.  5W for CW and digital modes.
This is the international standard.

chuck, k7qo

On 10/16/2017 12:10 PM, John Hucke johnhucke87@... [4sqrp] wrote:

I don't know if any thing like 5 additional watts would have made any difference during the most recent SSS due to conditions but I hope to participate SSB in November and December at what ever power level permitted. That said I believe the standard definition of QRP should be our rule.

73, John K3JH

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Monday, October 16, 2017, 12:12, Everett Catlin everettcatlin@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

John
How about starting with a survey on how many of us would use 10 watts ssb in Nov. and Dec? What has been the previous participation of SSB in the SSS.
It might be easier to just start the new rules the first of the year, either way it presents some problems. Good luck John.

72
Everett
"Vi Manore Plus Gaudium"

On Monday, October 16, 2017, 11:01:41 AM UTC, John Lonigro jonigro@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

As I said previously, we will definitely allow 10 Watt sideband QSOs for
the 2018 SSS season.  For the last two months this year, I'd like to
experiment a bit.  I'd be curious to know how many extra participants
that change would attract as well as how much better 10 Watts is than 5
Watts on sideband.  On the other hand, I don't want to upset the entire
2017 contest by changing rules the last two months.  There are currently
4 people in contention for the three top spots for the year and I don't
want a rule change to allow someone in 35th place to suddenly catch up
with them, as unlikely as that seems.  So here's what I'm proposing:

If the 10 Watt sideband rule produces results that don't affect the race
for the top three spots, those points will count the same as other
points during the year, to include the possibility of getting the
highest monthly total for November or December.

In the unlikely event someone gets so many 10 Watt sideband QSO points
as to affect the race for the top three spots, those points won't be
considered when awarding the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place awards for the year
(this year only).  This would necessitate specifying in the comments
section how many QSO points were earned using the new sideband power
limit, since 5 Watt sideband QSOs always have counted the same as CW QSOs.

Strictly prohibited would be making a 10 Watt QSO, then trying a QSO
with the same person at 5 Watts, for the purpose of having a valid QSO
at the officially allowed 5 Watt power level.  This rule will be
unnecessary once the 2018 season starts.

Any sideband QSO points are earned the same as always, 2 points/QSO with
a member and 1 point/QSO with a non-member (no change from current rules).

I'd like to hear comments about this before I officially implement it.
Please be civil (hi).

72,

John, AA0VE
4SQRP Contest Coordinator