Re: SSS & SSB

Bill Cromwell

Hi Dan,

I'm one of those old pharts that favors CW. Sit down and get a good hold on your chair. 35 years ago I was on 15 meters with a puny, low hanging antenna and two watts maximum power. That is two watts PEP. And yes - SSB! 10 and 15 meters is so high in frequency I get nosebleeds. I don't go ther much. I heard a guy in Florida calling CQ and he didn't say "DX". So..I answered him. He gave me '59' in his report. He told me he was running a kilowatt. eventually he turned it back to me. At the end of my transmission I mentioned 'two watts to a low dipole'. I heard a loud thump when his teeth fell out and hit the desk - tripping the vox on his radio <evil grin>. The QSO was soon over. I seem to have an attitude and like you I never mention "qrp". Besides - according to *some people* - at 25 watts I am not really QRP. Ask the high power guys about that. At two watts I am sure I qualified.

All of my radios have a control that can dial the power "up" or dial the power "down". I'm in charge of that control.

73,

Bill KU8H

On 10/17/2017 01:01 PM, Dan Reynolds on30ng@gmail.com [4sqrp] wrote:

i will throw my $0.02 worth in. I do operate QRP SSB and I do make
contacts. Probably not as many as someone with more power but I still
have fun. I liken it to using light tackle when I fish (which when I
fish I do use light tackle!).

As far as SSS goes (I've talked to John, he knows I'm not going to step
on his toes) I've tried SSB. I've never heard anyone. And this was
before conditions were so bad. So if you call and no one answers and you
search and no one answers that's not very much fun.
It does sound like NOW there are more people interested in SSB. That
might make this more doable, IF, conditions are better. And yes 10 watts
makes a difference. I emailed the group recently and shared how 10 watts
made a difference for me.
Of course if the conditions are terrible it won't matter how much power
you use. Last SSS the conditions were HORRIBLE.

I generally use the search and pounce method when operating SSB. And I
look for DX and special event stations. They try harder. They are not as
quick to "pre-judge" your signal. I NEVER and I mean NEVER advertise I'm
QRP. Everyone suddenly gets deaf if you do that. A lot of hams trying to
compensate for something - will run you down if you say you're QRP SSB.
Trust me on this. But amazingly you can make many contacts if you DO NOT
say you're QRP. I've not figured out a good way to disguise my radio
though... When you tell them you're using a KX3 they sort of know. But I
never volunteer that fact. I think this is unfortunate but I just chalk
it up as this is how you do it. I had a FT-817 before this and never ran
more than 5 watts. I have several 1000 mile per watt SSB certificates
from QRP-ARCI. And I truthfully don't consider that a feat at all. Be a
good operator, watch the conditions, and QSO's will come.

If you enjoy CW and you make contacts I think that's great. I just don't
enjoy CW that much. But if you do - have at it. Please understand - I
love QRP ham radio and I love making QSO's. I just use a mic instead of
a key.
Or another way of putting it - I don't care if you do, if you don't care
if I don't.

--
bark less - wag more