Re: OFF TOPIC ? Solar ?

Bill Cromwell

Hi Larry,

There is another curve in your calculations regarding amortization of the equipment. I have never seen the cost of the commercial energy sources lowered. Not ever. So the dollar value of the electricity that you produce will increase accordingly. We have to pay attention to the long term. We might die before tomorrow ever gets here so eat, drink, and be merry. But if you don't have firm plans for supper tomorrow and you don't die you will get awfully hungry!

Ham radio is a hobby, an avocation. You need only avoid spending the grocery money on it.

73,

Bill KU8H

On 10/28/2017 10:49 PM, Larry Hastings larry7hastings7@gmail.com [4sqrp] wrote:

Hi Dale
I have been running a grid-tie system for about 2 years. I have (6)
100-watt panels each costing about $100. The 400-watt inverter (output)
cost another $85.00. I run them at 12V using #8 wire. Peak wattage
(around noon) gives me about 350 watts AC into the wall outlet.
I estimate it is producing $10 or $11 worth of electricity per month.
Doesn't sound like much when my monthly bill is around $90 to $110.
Panels normal last 20 years, so....10x12= 120 per/yr x 20= $2400.
Now panels do degrade a little over the years, and you'll need to
probably replace an inverter once or twice in that time period. So it
will pay back, it's just a long term.
I'm sure there are a lot of opinions on my comments, but I don't care, I
enjoy using the broom to remove the snow in the winter and hear the
inverter fan reve up.
If I was to do it again. I would parallel 2 panels each (24V) and buy a
24v inverter. The efficiency would be better and the lost less.
It's sometimes hard to justify Ham Radio also.
Larry AB0AH 72

--
bark less - wag more