Re: Raspberry Pi

Johnny AC0BQ

Ge Jim

Sounds like fun!
Where did you get the main Board?
Is like one of the miniature Scopes some of the guys were playing with a while back?
Tnx
72
Johnny
AC0BQ

On Tuesday, April 16, 2013, Jim Sheldon wrote:

Well, I did it.  Took the plunge and ordered one of those little Raspberry Pi credit card sized Linux computer boards.  I've wanted a good reason to learn Linux but I didn't want to set up a dual boot partition on my main Windows computer or the laptop so this little board will fill the bill nicely.  It even has HDMI video out and I ordered an HDMI to VGA adapter so I can hook it to a decent extra flat screen monitor I happen to have laying around here.  I've heard that quite a few of the ham radio apps that have been compiled for Linux will run on it, and FLDIGI for certain, so it looks to become a really nice field companion for my Elecraft KX3.

If anyone on here has one of these, I'd appreciate any help available to get started with it.  I should receive it probably early next week.  These things are so popular that most places can't seem to be able to keep 'em in stock but I lucked out and found that MCM Electronics had some left.  I've dealt with them before and always had good luck with their customer service so I ordered the board from them.  The rest of the stuff I'm getting from www.adafruit.com who was out of the computers but had the accessories I wanted in stock.  I'll probably order one of the add on "real world" controller/breadboard cards to enable all sorts of neat external device control possibilities.

Jim - W0EB