Re: Raspberry Pi

Charlie Vest

I am not up to speed on these Raspberry Pi's . I have seen them mentioned on other groups , plus an article on one hams web page that was using his as a transmitter . Same ham that wrote the QST January 2013 article about using the foreign TV USB Dongle , as an SDR and an up converter to also use it on MW , LF , in addition to its original VHF/UHF configuration I think .

So for a beginner , I am looking for help and guidance in what to order to get started . I want a good enough unit that I will be able to use as I advance . On the MCM web page I think I am looking for something from the "B" group , since the ones I assume that are being used are the ones with more memory and in my case , I also want one , from what I can tell , that already has Linux installed . Linux is also a pretty weak area of mine also .

So what do you all recommend ? I don't want to go all out right off of the bat , so I also want to be frugal "read cheap" at first :)  I have far more time than money :)

Charlie , W5COV

Jim,
    I ordered and received mine before OzarkCon but haven't powered it up yet.

On 04/16/2013 06:35 PM, Jim Sheldon wrote:

Well, I did it.  Took the plunge and ordered one of those little Raspberry Pi credit card sized Linux computer boards.  I've wanted a good reason to learn Linux but I didn't want to set up a dual boot partition on my main Windows computer or the laptop so this little board will fill the bill nicely.  It even has HDMI video out and I ordered an HDMI to VGA adapter so I can hook it to a decent extra flat screen monitor I happen to have laying around here.  I've heard that quite a few of the ham radio apps that have been compiled for Linux will run on it, and FLDIGI for certain, so it looks to become a really nice field companion for my Elecraft KX3.

If anyone on here has one of these, I'd appreciate any help available to get started with it.  I should receive it probably early next week.  These things are so popular that most places can't seem to be able to keep 'em in stock but I lucked out and found that MCM Electronics had some left.  I've dealt with them before and always had good luck with their customer service so I ordered the board from them.  The rest of the stuff I'm getting from www.adafruit.com who was out of the computers but had the accessories I wanted in stock.  I'll probably order one of the add on "real world" controller/breadboard cards to enable all sorts of neat external device control possibilities.

Jim - W0EB

--
David Martin - K5DCM ---o0o---
Mountain Home, Arkansas

Automobile efficiency is measured in MPG, NOT Gallons per Mile.
Amateur Radio efficiency, fun & skill is measured by Miles Per Watt, NOT Watts per Mile.