Re: New Cricket Built-update

Jeff Peters <k9jp.radio@...>

Hello again,

Second thought.  What is the voltage reading on your 9v battery or power supply for your cricket.
I had one odd fresh 9v battery start at 9.1 volts and after a few key down tests into my dummy load the battery voltage was 8.5volts.
Must have been old or defective from the start. The second battery from that pack of two is still good at 9.0 volts after 14 short Cricket QSO's.

Hope this might help, 

Jeff K9JP

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 10:02 PM, Martin <huyettmeh@...> wrote:

Well, I replaced Q4, adding a socket. Not sure it is different from previously. I called my neighbor about a block away and asked him to give me a call. We were able to QSO, him running about five watts. His signal was clear and clean. He said mine was too. He had to use his dummy load to keep the oscillator from blocking my actual signal out. We are only about 200 or so yards apart. But I still feel like it is not as sensitive as I would expect. Do others of you with a Cricket hear band noise? My other two rigs hear considerable band noise even without signals present.

Thanks for any observations.

Martin

K0BXB

www.huyettm.net

Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 9:14 AM
To: '4SQRP@groups.io' <4SQRP@groups.io>
Subject: RE: [4SQRP] New Cricket Built

After reading the documentation and looking at the schematic it seems clear the issue has to be either with Q4/circuit or U1. The sidetone seems to be completely separate from that signal flow. The Q4, receive mixer must be working as a strong signal (from my nearby FT817 can be heard, even if lightly). So perhaps I messed up U1 or its circuit. I did a cursory check of voltages and surrounding components and they seem correct. I’ll keep checking.

Martin

K0BXB

www.huyettm.net

Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 8:44 AM
To: '4SQRP@groups.io' <4SQRP@groups.io>
Subject: RE: [4SQRP] New Cricket Built

Hi Walter,

Good idea. I just checked that out. Same on both. By the way I have a good, loud sidetone in the phones when key down so I’m suspecting it is something in the RF section of the receiver. It’s possible, God forbid, that I got some of the small capacitors mixed up. I’ve got a magnifying lamp but it was very hard to read the stamped values on several of those. I tried to check them with my cap meter, but who knows. Need to study the schematic a bit to get the receive flow in my head and then start checking.

It is an elegant little transceiver. I’ve built a number of the 4SQRP kits offered over the years with very good success. The only one I had difficulties with previously was the power meter. I never did get it to work. I loved the NS-40, SS-40 and magic boxes! Fun to build and worked like a charm. Still have them. I added the VXO to the NS-40 but wasn’t too happy with the result. Need to lash them together again and blow out the dust!

Thanks again.

Martin

K0BXB

www.huyettm.net

From: 4SQRP@groups.io [mailto:4SQRP@groups.io] On Behalf Of Walter - K5EST
Sent: Tuesday, January 09, 2018 10:28 PM
To: 4SQRP@groups.io
Subject: Re: [4SQRP] New Cricket Built

Hi Martin, just a thought, would you have a couple different ear buds/earphones to try out on the Cricket? Sometimes that makes a difference. All ear phones/buds are not created equal so my experiments have shown.

Glad to have you join in with the Cricket Nation.

Walter Dufrain - K5EST
4 State Group website: www.4SQRP.com

On Jan 9, 2018 8:51 PM, "Martin" <huyettmeh@...> wrote:

I received my cricket in the mail today and finished building it about an hour ago. Nice project!

It puts out what sounds like a clean half watt at about 3.58mhz and hears a signal transmitted on my FT-817nd.

But when I put it on an antenna I don’t hear any noise at all. If I transmit on my 817 into a dummy load nearby, the cricket hears that. Admittedly there are no signals on the band at that frequency but I would expect to hear some general noise – I do in the 817. I’ll keep playing. Maybe its just a bad day for 80 meters!

Comments welcome.

Thanks to 4SQRP for a nice project.

Martin

Martin

K0BXB

www.huyettm.net

--
Not all of me will die - - - The good I do for others will live on forever.  <><

Join main@4SQRP.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.