Re: Another rig?

Jim Sheldon

I have several and they all work.  The main reason I designed that adapter (now almost obsolete because the keyer is being worked on by several good programmers - No, not me) was so I could use my bug(s) with it and the hand key which I use is home made and uses bare brass contacts which are difficult to keep perfectly clean.  ANY contact resistance on a key being used with the stock uBITX input will create problems due to the way the paddles are handled (measuring voltages on the single input line with the Analog to Digital converter (ADC) in the Arduino Nano).  

There are software fixes for that too, but I'm waiting until they go to a different keyer.

The EZ Keyer series will work great and my little FET keying interface should not be needed with it.

Jim

------ Original Message ------
Sent: 1/11/2018 7:56:46 AM
Subject: Re: [4SQRP] Another rig?

GM JIm,

"The internal keyer is being worked on"

Which keyer are you using?   The smd EZKeyer II-i is ideal and was designed for this application.  http://www.4sqrp.com/ek2i.php

GL

72 WAØITP
I love this radio stuff.
Back to the bench, Winter is too valuable to waste.
www.wa0itp.com
www.4sqrp.com
On 1/11/2018 7:22 AM, Jim Sheldon wrote:
GM Yvon,
Attached is the schematic of the keying adapter I used.  The 2nd and third stages (for the key paddles) did not help enough due to the poor implementation of the paddle keyer.  I suggest using only the first stage of the adapter in the schematic, (disregard everything to the left of C4 on the diagram.).  For 90 percent of the people that have used it, this improved the keying for hand keys and even allowed using a bug.  Use an external keyer either through the adapter or if the external keyer has an FET output keying stage, the adapter should not be needed.  The internal keyer is being worked on but it's going to be a lengthy process and for now the suggestion is to use an external device.

Jim - W0EB

------ Original Message ------From: "at91r40008" <yvon@...>
Sent: 1/11/2018 12:51:37 AM
Subject: Re: [4SQRP] Another rig?

Jim,

do you mind sharing your modifications for CW? I have one too and in CW it is not ideal but it is a quite receiver.

Thanks,   73.
Yvon NU6I

Join main@4SQRP.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.