From: 4SQRP@groups.io <4SQRP@groups.io> on behalf of Tom Sevart <tmsevart@...>
Sent: Friday, January 12, 2018 11:59 PM
To: 4SQRP@groups.io
Subject: [4SQRP] Cricket & antenna experiment

Hi all,

I haven't had much luck making Cricket QSO's with my multiband 80m
inverted V dipole, so early this morning I decided to try the wire I use
for shortwave listening.  It's about 120' long with a lead-in wire
attached about 10' from the near end coming down to a 9:1 balun in a
plastic box mounted on the side of the garage, then coaxial cable over
to the house and into the shack.  I was surprised to find that the wire
has a near perfect VSWR on 3560 and 3580. I gave a few CQ calls and was
happy to see that I was actually being heard on the reverse beacon
network for the first time with the Cricket.

I had always been leery about trying to transmit into this antenna since
I just used 24 gauge magnet wire to build the balun and am not sure what
kind of power it will take.  But 1/2 Watt won't hurt it a bit.

The only bad thing is that I have a loud 60 Hz hum on that antenna with
the Cricket.  I don't have the hum on any other receiver, nor do I have
the hum with the Cricket on the V.  So I believe it's likely a ground
loop issue.  I'll try to work through it until I get the Buzzkill finished.

So tonight I'm going to finally (hopefully!) make my first Cricket QSO.
I plan to be on around 7 PM onward.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS