Re: Favorite Paddle, Key?

Martin <huyettmeh@...>

My favorite key is a straight key, a WWII Speed-X given to me by a WWII vet (SK) while I lived in Florida. It has a very nice feel but what makes it special is the gentleman who gave it to me! I guess my second favorite straight key would be a homebrew one I made a few years ago. It’s dimensions are patterned off the Speed-X but it’s feel is not as good. I do use it from time to time, but the Speed-X is the favorite for operating.

You can see my homebrew key at http://www.huyettm.net/k0bxb.html.

I have an MFJ paddle but really prefer the straight key so seldom use it.

Martin

K0BXB

www.huyettm.net

From: 4SQRP@groups.io [mailto:4SQRP@groups.io] On Behalf Of Chip Stratton
Sent: Sunday, February 04, 2018 1:01 PM
To: 4SQRP@groups.io
Subject: Re: [4SQRP] Favorite Paddle, Key?

Bought a NOS Chinese army straight key, but hated it. Have a Junkers DBGM and a Navy Flameproof. Like them both very much. For paddles, a Kent single lever, a Morse Express Bushwhacker single lever, and a Elecraft (Bencher) Hex Key. I like the Hex key and use it the most. The Kent is fine too, the Bushwhacker not as good for me.

Portable use, I have a Palm Portable Key (PPK) straight key and a N0SP SSP mini paddle, both of which I like. I mount them interchangeably to a piece of clear acrylic using 3M Dual Lock. The acrylic makes it easier to stabilize the key on my lap when portable, and the Dual Lock provides a fairly rigid mount to the acrylic - more so than Velcro would.

Chip

AE5KA

On Sun, Feb 4, 2018 at 10:55 AM, Chuck Carpenter <w5usj@...> wrote:

My fixed-station paddle is a March R-3A; portable paddle is a Vibroplex Code Warrior.  Also have a Mini Paddle I often use for testing at the bench.  I've had a couple of Vibroplex bugs and still have a J-38 bought in 1955.

My favorite electronic keyer is the PK-4 from Jackson Harbor.  I've also used several others from JH including the popular NorCal keyer.
--
Chuck Carpenter, W5USJ
EM22cv Rains County, TX

Join main@4SQRP.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.