Re: Any use of a battery eliminator/charger device?

Donald Sanders

12 volts can be reduced several ways. 4 or 5 silicon diodes in series or a 7409 voltage regulator are probably the simplest.

Dr. Don W4BWS

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity.

On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 11:51 AM, Frank Perkins <N6CES.r@...> wrote:
Hi folks, I really like the group's information.
Conserning power, the Cricket lists running on a board-connected 9 volt battery.
What are the power limits? Can 12v gelcell or 13.8 volt supply be used without stressing components? If not, any simple 12v to 9volt circuit suggestions?
Frank N6CES

On Feb 6, 2018 8:33 AM, "Michael McEwen" <michael.t.mcewen@...> wrote:
Do you have a model name or number I can Google?
Doc-K5OSA

On Feb 5, 2018 12:21 PM, "John Lonigro" <jonigro@...> wrote:
Doc:
I'm assuming you are referring to one of those Jump starters like those sold at Harbor Freight?  They have a 15 Ah (approx) gel-cell inside, nothing fancy.  Mine used to be in the car until the insulation on the short jumper cables cracked and fell off.  I removed the defective jumper cables from the old one, and added a cable with Anderson Powerpoles on the end.  It should easily last for most of Field Day  with a 5 Watt QRP rig attached.  My model includes a cigarette lighter socket, a built-in trickle charger, a trouble light, a heavy duty on-off switch, the ability to charge it from your car, and an expanded scale voltmeter.  When they are on sale, they are hard to beat, other than being large and on the heavy side.  it's old technology, but I believe gelcells are safer to handle than the newer Lithium batteries.  If they are kept charged with the built-in charger, they seem to last a pretty long time.  Mine is at least 12 years old.

72,
John, AA0VE

On 02/05/2018 12:04 PM, Dr Jim Kennedy via Groups.Io wrote:
Have any of you QRP'ers who operate from outside locations ever used a 12V 15000mAh Multi-Function Car Jump Starter Battery Charger as a power source transceivers? If yes, how long does it last and would you recommend?

72/73, Doc - K2PHD