Re: navy knobs

Tom Sevart <n2uhc@...>

On 04/18/2013 12:24, Walter - K5EST wrote:

All the Navy CW circuits I have been on did Not have the bottom skirt on
the key knob.

Actually, the knob skirt, so I was told, was to keep the ops fingers
from touching the live key contacts. On a rolling and pitching ship it
could be a problem in the old days.

My straight keys vary with / without the knob skirt, so I just hold the
knob and let the skirt be decorative!
The first key I started with has a skirt, and i found it useful to place my thumb and ring finger on it when sending. But it's the only key I've got that has a skirt. On the skirtless knobs I just hold my thumb and ring finger on the side of the knob.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS