Re: 40m Net - Holy Cow !!!

Wayne Steury

Thanks so much Bill. This was very helpful.

Wayne N9EGT

On Apr 26, 2018, at 3:28 PM, dekle <dekle@...> wrote:

Hi Wayne,

Well, the procedure is to send your call when the NCS (Net Control Station) asks for check-ins with "QNI ? k".
The NCS will then take a list of calling stations that he hears, ask them to "PSE AS" (please wait) to signify that and then ask for more QNIs.
If you weren't heard the first time, try again.
That means you are on the list and will be called in order.
If the NCS doesn't hear you, someone else may have and should offer to relay your information when the NCS asks for relays with "Any QSK?  k".
I'm sorry I didn't hear you last night and there was no relay offered.
Your code speed is not an issue. I slow down and speed up to try to match the code speed of the current QNI station.
I'm just as happy at 5 wpm as I am at 20 wpm - I don't care as long as I get the calling station in the log.

A few thoughts:

1. Sucessful QSOs depend on a great number of variables.
    I can't explain why I could easily copy one MO station and couldn't hear another MO station at all.
2. I never heard WB4IEA and W2TAW in QSO. I also have a pixie and know it transmits lower in frequency than what the xtal is
    marked. I had to add about 20pf to one leg of the 7122 xtals to bring the transmitter up to 7123 to get on the Sunrise Net.
   Are you sure you are on frequency? (Just because you can hear a station doesn't mean you will transmit on their listening frequency.)
   400 mw isn't a lot of power but if you're on the Net frequency (usually 7122kHz) hopefully someone will hear you.
3. If you give up you will never QNI the net.  Keep trying.  I'll listen again for you next week.

And to everyone - if you hear a station that I can't hear, step up and relay when "Any QSK?  k" is requested. Thank you.

73
Bill
KV6Z