Re: 40m Net

Paul Smith

I LOVE ur answer Bill, This could be describing me as well hi hi thanks for ur work de Paul N0NBD

Sent from Outlook

From: main@4SQRP.groups.io <main@4SQRP.groups.io> on behalf of dekle <dekle@...>
Sent: Thursday, May 3, 2018 3:57 PM
To: main@4SQRP.groups.io
Subject: Re: [4SQRP] 40m Net

Hi Russ,

I was glad to get the 339.
(Actually, I think the RST system could be abandoned without much consequence.)
Between the T-storm QRN and the nasty QSB, the net was a real challenge last night.

I'm way too "old school" to use "the internet group of SDR receivers". (Actually, I'm not really sure what that is or how it works.)
My station consists of a KX3 connected to a 20/40 fan dipole with 80m loading coils and 6-ft. wire pigtails hanging down from the ends of the 40m wire. I never use any of the digital modes and only once connected a microphone just to verify that the SSB function worked on the radio.

My idea of radio is this:
Someone touches 2 wires together and makes something oscillate. Someone else hears the oscillations and then touches his (or her) 2 wires together to try to communicate with the first guy. And every time that happens it's pure magic that still astounds me. I never had the urge to complicate it beyond that. I've had just as much fun with my Cricket as I have had with the KX3 (maybe more). My only strategy to overcome poor conditions is to change bands or wait until conditions improve. The biggest kick I get out of ham radio is when I recognize someone's call sign and can remember their name.

73
Bill
KV6Z