Re: QRP newbie question.

Charles W. Powell

I would start with 20 meters at that time of the day.  But you have to be patient.  You’re not going to spin the dial and find a bunch of QSO.  If nothing at all is heard, move to 30, then 40 meters.  There are times that 40 meters during the day is quite active and others where it is terrible.  Unpredictable I think is a fitting description.  This past weekend was really good for 20 meters, even though overall conditions were pretty marginal.  If you are an SKCC member and interested in contacts, it is worthwhile to follow the SKCC Sked page.  At least you know where to look, even if you can’t scare anything up.  QRPspots is good too, but doesn’t get the level of activity that I’d like to see on it.  I have to admit that I often forget to post when I go out for portable ops.

I am taking a “new” radio out to try in the field today in just a few minutes (1300 central time).  I will post frequencies on QRP spots as I move around.  Feel free to give me a call if you can hear me. 

Chas - NK8O

On May 7, 2018, at 11:02 AM, Paul Smith <n0nbd@...> wrote:

Hello Doc,
I have been watching bandconditions.com closly for a while. I have found 30 meters is most likely to scare up a SKCC contact in the afternoons and by suppertime 40 seems to be waking up... Ypur mileage may vary de Paul N0NBD

Sent from Outlook

From: main@4SQRP.groups.io <main@4SQRP.groups.io> on behalf of Wayne Dillon <wayne.dillon@...>
Sent: Monday, May 7, 2018 2:19 PM
To: main@4sqrp.groups.io
Subject: Re: [4SQRP] QRP newbie question.

Hi Doc,
This is going to sound like a very unhelpful answer but, the way the bands are at the moment, I would venture to say that any band that's open is the band to use. 
However that said I'll pass you on to our NJ ops and see what they have to say. In my personal experience I would start on 20m then go to 30m as 30 exhibits some of the traits of 20 and 40 depending on time of day as well as prevailing band condx. Sorry I can't be any more specific than that. Someone else with more experience than I of daytime operating in the NE will no doubt give you a much better pointer.
Wayne - NQ0RP

On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 9:13 AM, Dr Jim Kennedy via Groups.Io <phdad_ccm@...> wrote:
I live in Northern NJ AND usually get time to qrp when waiting for my grandsons to get home from school. Usually from 1 PM EDST TO 3PM EDST.

I do not find 40, 20, or 30 meters very active during this time.

Can you QRP experienced guys tell me what bands might be better during these times, and in general what times are best for the hf and vhf bands using QRP in the NE USA?

72/73, K2PHD - DOC

-- 

QRP -  EFFICIENCY AND SKILL, NOT POWER. 

God Bless from Wayne Dillon - NQ0RP

Join main@4SQRP.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.