Re: QRP CW Transceivers for sale

That's new to me Since I had my WN call each time I turned it over to the other CW station he-she sent R 2 or 3 times meaning they had a good copy on everything Many things have changed over the years and I'm not one to work wspr pal FT8 etc. Just my 2 cents on the topic Bob AF2DX

KENT TRIMBLE <k9ztv@...> wrote:

Negative.  It has nothing to do with brevity of sending.

CW ops use “R” for a decimal because it’s been considered as such for at least a hundred years, and because a period is intellectually different from a decimal (though visually they look the same when written).  Periods connote the end of sentences, initials, and abbreviations.  Periods (not decimals) are also used in email addresses.

When used in a context of numbers, an “R” nearly always connotes a decimal point.   One exception, however, would be a serial or part number comprised of a context of both numbers and letters in which case an “R” would connote an “R” (it being the case that serial numbers and part numbers seldom (if ever) contain a decimal point.

See W1AW’s orbital bulletins for long-standing examples.

73,

Kent  K9ZTV

CW ops will sometimes us an R for a decimal point as it is faster to send than a period.

Inquiring minds want to know,

chuck, k7qo

On 07/15/2018 10:23 AM, Marc wrote:
 I think the current draw is 0.70 amp, not 7 amp! The dot is hard to see!

Marc N4DR