Re: Hilltopper

John T. Fitzer

Good afternoon Dave, I have a question about the ATmega328P-PU micro available from Mouser. I would like to purchase another micro chip and load the latest version of the firmware using an Arduino uno to program the new chip. My question is, does the micro as supplied from Mouser have the boot loader already installed or will I have to burn that first prior to downloading the sketch? I have played with Arduino a little but I am no programmer by any stretch of the imagination. I think the first thing I would do is to download the latest version of the IDE. I know there is a way to burn the boot loader in the IDE but I have never done it so it will be an adventure. If the chips from Mouser do not have the boot loader installed, is there a source for the chips that do have it installed? In addition I have several 328 chips that I purchased several years ago that do have the boot loader already burned in. These are not the P (pico power) version. Will the non p 328 chips work in the hill topper at a slightly increased current drain, or is there something in the program that would prevent them from operating correctly? P.S. The rig works great, except the BFO is a bit low but workable I just have to tune the other station in at around 550 hz or so so I will be zero beat. I double checked the caps in the BFO circuit and they seem correct. When I get time I may try removing the 10 pf cap across the trimmer and see what happens. That may give me enough increase in frequency. If not I’ll replace the trimmer with a 3 to 30 pf unit. I’m sure that will work.

From: John T. Fitzer
Sent: Thursday, July 05, 2018 9:00 AM
To: main@4sqrp.groups.io
Subject: Hilltopper

GM Dave and all in the group. I took a couple days off to extend the 4th holiday and used some of the time to build the Hilltopper kit. I followed the manual verbatim, doing each section in sequence. I was rewarded with a radio that worked the first time it was powered up. The only hitch and it was a small one was that my kit only had approximately 12 inches of #24 magnet wire, while 22 inches minimum is required. For me this was no big deal as I keep rolls of magnet wire in various sizes on hand for homebrew projects. The rig puts out 5.4 watts with a 13 volt power supply. Not bad. The frequency calibration and BFO set up went fine. I put the rig on the air yesterday operating portable from my back yard. I had several nice contacts including one DX contact. I used the Hilltopper with a Four States tuner feeding a 20 meter ENFW vertical supported on a Sota Beams 30 ft. travel  mast. I also connected my Hipermite audio filter to test and make sure it would play nice with the Hilltopper. All in all I must say I’m impressed with the quality of the kit. It is very well designed, and the parts are of good quality and fit. The manual is very well written, and does point out possible glitches that a new builder may encounter. Again I would like to thank Dave and all who helped make this a great kit and for making it available for the ham QRP community at a very reasonable price. Great job all. I will not be available for the next couple of weeks as I will be in the field working on medium voltage high power circuit breakers. These are the opposite of QRP, 350 MVA @ 5kv 3 phase power. I will have my QRP portable go bag with me if I get some free time to operate at the hotel. 72’s for now W3BNO.