Re: Antenna analyzer/SWR meter

Tim N9PUZ

I've been happy with this analyzer purchased about a year ago.

Tim N9PUZ

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 4:43 AM, David Wilcox via Groups.Io <Djwilcox01@...> wrote:
I still take my stand on getting an antenna analyzer. I like the YouKits FG-01 as it not only gives you the SWR but tells you the frequency the antenna is resonant on so you can make adjustments.  Antenna analyzers are not cheap but if you plan on being in this hobby for a few years it will prove to be a great asset to your test gear bag.  I wish I had had one years ago.

But, then again you can put up any wire and get on the air and when conditions are good you will have contacts.  I did that for my first 10 years of hamming.  If you cut your antenna to formula you will probably get out and make contacts even if it is off frequency a bit. It's just knowing how your antenna is resonating helps you to understand you have done all you can to get the signal going in the right direction and with maximum power transfer.  In QRP every milliwatt out the antenna helps.

Enjoy.  And remember, THIS IS A HOBBY!  It doesn't have to be perfect to have fun.  When I was in RC airplanes some of the planes the club members flew were just junk...... BUT they flew and the guys had fun.  Some get their blood pressure up just getting the looks of the plane perfect.  They spent more time building their planes while the rest were flying their "junk".  Who had more fun?  I think they both did.  It IS a hobby!

My two cents worth, and I am sticking to it.  I tend to build more and get in the air only rarely.  But I have fun and it is cheaper than a psychiatrist or a mistress, and it keeps me out of the bars (and my wife always knows where I am).

Dave K8WPE

On Aug 7, 2018, at 1:57 PM, Rob Roberts via Groups.Io <kd0wkv@...> wrote:

What do you all suggest for a new ham to do, to check out the SWR on an antenna he just built?  I really don’t have many Elmer’s around me to ask.  I probably should make the stupid antenna and take  to the ham fest where I am taking my general exam and see if someone has one.

Rob

kd0wkv