Re: antenna tuners in general

Dwayne R <masterdr@...>

The length of the wire will be way way to long for an antenna this close to the ground.
You are talking about an antenna formula for a wire "in space". If the ends of the
antenna are close to the grown, and the feed point that close to the ground (You didn't
specify), You may end up having to double up the ends of the antenna by 3 to 8 feet
on each end.

The way I read it (which I could be wrong) your antenna will be very close to the ground,
and the ends only a few feet at the most.

These type antennas are called NVIS antennas. For a dipole NVIS this close to the
ground, the standard formula is way way off. Ground interaction is a huge factor
on the length of this antenna.

A friend of mine and I played with one of these, On his, he ended up with an
antenna around 23 to 25 feet on each side to resonate on 40 meters. (CAn't remember
the exact length)

We used a 2 8 foot green poles for support, and two stakes for the wires.

Sorry if I misread your message wrong.

Dwayne

Subject: Re: [4SQRP] antenna tuners in general
To: "main@4SQRP.groups.io" <main@4SQRP.groups.io>
Date: Wednesday, August 8, 2018, 11:04 AM

Rob,
I like the OCF dipole, & wire antennas.
Here's
one thing you could do:Get
three fiberglass fish poles - like Black Widow
BW6;A
spool of 18 gauge speaker wire (rca AH18100SR);Some
stakes about one inch-and-a-quarter diameter;Roll
of electric tape.
Measure
33 feet from one end, split the conductors apart to make a
dipole, use the other 66 foot length as a feed line. (Might
need to be closer to 56 feet because of velocity
factor).
Sharpen
the stakes, push them in the ground, extend the poles n slip
over the stakes, tape dipole to the top of the poles. The
end should be about 50 ohms, connect to coax and
operate.
Good
DXRoy
AA0B

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 6:55 AM, ussv
dharma via
Groups.Io<ussvdharma=yahoo.com@groups.io>
wrote: I like my KX3 but do not use it as it is just TOO
DARNED HOT AND MUGGY here in South Mississippi in the
summer. Hopefully this fal and winder It will be tolerable
to go out on the grounds and use the picnic tables for QRP
with the KX3 and a buddipole de W7KFI

If you don't change
direction you WILL arrive exactly where you're
headed!!

MSGT. Susan Meckley, USA
(Ret.)
W7KFI
& AFZ4SM

On Tue, 8/7/18, John Hucke
via Groups.Io <johnhucke87=yahoo.com@groups.io>
wrote:

Subject: Re: [4SQRP]
antenna tuners in general
To: main@4SQRP.groups.io
Date: Tuesday, August 7,
2018, 8:00 PM

Correct, an antenna tuner
consist of wire cutter, tape
measure, and a soldering iron if you cut too
much.That
said I’m
happy to fool my radio (KX3) with the excellent
internal impedance
match.I love my KX3 but QRP
isn’t recommended for a beginner, I can tell
you from
personal
experience.72 John K3JH

On Tuesday, August 7,
2018, 16:54, ussv dharma
via Groups.Io

<ussvdharma=yahoo.com@groups.io>
wrote:One must

remember, an antenna tuner only fools the radio into
believing there is a 50
ohm antenna....the tuner does not
change anything about the antenna or coax feeding
it.

If you don't
change
direction
you WILL arrive exactly where you're
headed!!

MSGT. Susan Meckley,
USA
(Ret.)
W7KFI
& AFZ4SM

On Tue, 8/7/18, Wayne
Dillon <wayne.dillon@...>
wrote:

Antenna analyzer/SWR
meter
  To: main@4sqrp.groups.io
  Date: Tuesday, August
7,
2018, 4:30 PM

  Couldn't
  agree more Jerry,
the
FT450 is an entry
level wireless with

above entry level

performance and functions. Yes the built
  in ASTU is
amazing.Blessings,Wayne
-
  NQ0RP
  On
Tue,
  Aug 7, 2018 at
3:15 PM, J.K. Wright
<wrightjk@...>
  wrote:
  Also
  have an FT-450d. It has
built in swr meter
and an
  absolutely
amazing built in antenna tuner with
great
  range.  Unless
you plan on experimenting
a lot with
  antennas,
you don't
need an
swr/per meter anytime soon.
  Never had one for my
first 45 yrs of hamming. Read your
  FT450D manual
carefully.
The rig can
do a lot and is a great
  entry level rig.Jerry,
NK2C
  On Tue, Aug 7,
2018, 3:42 PM Rob Roberts
via
  Groups.Io
<kd0wkv=yahoo.com@groups.io>
  wrote:
  didn’t rely to the
group. I replied to John
instead.
  I’m not
getting in a
hurry.
I am planning on joining a
  group, however in my line
of work. I work 70 hrs a
week and
  my weekends
fall during the week, not many people
are off
  when I am.
My radio that I purchased
is a Yaesu FT-450d.

I’m taking my General
test on Saturday lord willing and
  the creek don’t rise
I hope to ready to get on
the air

when I get
home.
Thanks for all your replies.

  I am debating on a
OCF
dipole or a
Carolina Windom.  It
  will be fed with RG-8x (50 ohm I believe).
I’m not sure
  about
the radiation or if
it’s shortened. I’m a fairly