From: "Michael McShan" <n5jky@me.com>
To: <4sqrp@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Monday, April 29, 2013 10:31 AM
Subject: [4sqrp] Pig rig reminded me of building tip

| Good morning all,
|
| I hope everyone got to have some radio fun this weekend. I operated SOTA from
Mount Scott in the Wichita Mountains and made 40 qsos. Good day for me. :-)

| So, Pig Rig #181 is almost finished (I know, I'm slow). I was testing the
receiver when connected to the antenna, and the rig receives well but the AGC
seemed like it was not working (I was getting huge, sudden shifts in audio
volume). I then remembered a debugging technique that told to me years ago (I
think by David WN5Y) that came to the rescue and thought I'd pass it on if it
helps anyone.

| The trick is to hold the printed circuit board in front of a good light source
(desk lamp, whatever) and look for places where the light shines through. Using
that trick, I discovered that one end of D4 had never been soldered. When
fixed, the receiver works as it should.