Re: 2M ht

David Lininger

Well, that's the advice I usually give people who are considering
becoming full-time RV'ers. Figure out your "mission profile" first, and
then buy the right coach.

At this point I don't know for sure what else I might want. The current
HT, an IC-T22, is a pretty basic rig by today's standards, but 20 years
ago it was a mid-line rig. I've not had anything but 2M available to me,
but it seems that this time around I may be able to afford a little more.

At one time my wife was somewhat interested in getting her license, and
I think that maybe if I hand her a Technician book she may start
studying. That may change things a bit, as then she would need a radio, too.

Keep the ideas coming.

On 1/9/18 21:33, Rob via Groups.Io wrote:
David.... You need to be a little more specific as to your needs.

You can spend  hundreds of dollars on options that you will never use.
You need to define your needs then run with that ball.
If you don't have any need or interest in 220 or 440 or DMR then the
price starts to drop off significantly.

I don't drive.
So I stick to buying the dirt cheap $34 UV5R radios and not worry about
dropping or losing them while pedestrian mobile.

73 Rob KB3BYT

On 09/01/2018 10:15 PM, w2sh@... wrote:

Mike,

The Kenwood TH-F6A is a 144, 222 & 440 mHz handheld transceiver (along
with a !00kHz-30 MHZ receive capability).  Although hard to believe,
it was in continuous production for 20-21 years.

Kenwood now sells a physically larger TH-D74A tribander for $500.  I
think Yaesu also offers a tri-bander.

Obviously the TH-F6A was a fantastic seller to have enjoyed such a
long life.  There are a bazillion of them out there and second-hand
prices look to be in the $200-250 range, which isn't a hefty discount
from the $320 I paid five or six years ago.

Do your homework on the TH-F6A and you may then be shopping for one
yourself.

72,

Charles, W2SH