Re: CQ Magazine

David Lininger

"Too many hams nowadays can't even read the color code on a resistor"...
Of course, some of us have enough trouble even SEEING the color codes on
resistors. <grin> And then there are those tiny surface mount things.

For a couple of years now I've been thinking about whether or not it
would make sense for me to learn a bit about tube circuitry, given that
we live full-time in our motor home and travel a good bit. Tube
equipment is heavy and takes up a lot of space. Motor homes don't like
the extra weight and there isn't a lot of extra space. Tube equipment
doesn't like lots of vibration, and an rv has been called a rolling
earthquake.

On 3/9/18 18:13, Bob Nelson via Groups.Io wrote:
There was a time when we had QST, CQ, 73 and Ham Radio magazines.
That was back when you had to demonstrate at least minimal CW skills
to get a license.  Now all that has changed, and we are down to just QST
and
CQ.  AND now the FCC has decided you only need to have "appliance operator"
skills to operate on the ham bands.

Back in the old days (when you had to demonstrate CW skills), many hams
built their own equipment, or at least a good part of it.  Now, when I go
to club meetings I find that 90% of those in attendance have practically NO
skills in electronics at all - true appliance operators.  And without
the technical
skills that were taught in QST, CQ, etc, we have a situation where a LARGE
percentage of hams can't even diagnose problems with their "appliances",
much less repair them.

Now in my "old age", I feel very grateful for what ham radio has done
for me,
since I discovered it existed at about age 12.  And it has been PLENTY.
I could tell
some true stories about how my knowledge of radio allowed me to make some
contributions to our country's safety when I was in the military
(1959-1969) -
contributions that assured the "mail would get thru", despite corruption
at the
federal gov't level.

The point is that to the extent to which ham radio gets "dumbed down", the
nation becomes less secure.  For example, look at ham radio's
contribution at
times of natural and man-made emergencies.  But to the extent a ham
can't keep
his equipment running in less than "normal conditions", the less
valuable ham radio
becomes to the general public.

The FCC seems to have decided that ham radio licenses should be easier to
get, no matter what the overall skill levels of the new licensee might
be.  We must
hope this new philosophy proves to be wise.  But I, for one, am not so
sure.
Too many hams nowadays can't even read the color code on a resistor, much
less be able to keep their appliances operating when the going gets rough.

Having practically no $$, I salvaged old AM radios from the city dump to
build my
first xmitter from an article in a 1952 issue of CQ.  Nowadays, there
are no
articles like that in the remaining magazines.

So the times have changed.  And we have to hope it all works out for the
better.

73 - Bob, K6KL

On Monday, September 3, 2018, 1:16:46 PM CDT, davemrtn
<davemrtn@...> wrote:

Is CQ Magazine faltering ?

This last Friday, 08/31/18, I received the August issue.

How many other people are receiving LATE delivery of the magazine ?

Has anyone received the September issue ??
--
David Martin - NA1MH <https://www.qrz.com/lookup/na1mh> - Mountain Home,