Re: DMR Talkgroup

Dan Reynolds

I posted a lot of information on the #SSB side. There is a lot of good information and there is a lot of misinformation and confusion. It's not hard and it's not expensive. I got into DMR for < $100.

As to the comparisons to the other modes - well none of them compare pricewise and DMR is the fastest growing digital U/V mode. Maybe it's not pure radio - lots of Internet involved - but there is always some radio involved. I have no local DMR repeater so I use a chinese "hotspot" but I talk on a UHF radio to get to that hotspot. And on the other end it might be a repeater or a hotspot or even another digital mode. Doesn't matter.

One of my first QSO's and my favorite so far: I was on my HT & hotspot and on the other end, Sweden, he was on his HT driving to work going through a repeater. I think it's cool. And as said it's something to do when the spots are low. I think this falls under the "advancing the radio art." And it's QRP to boot. I'd be happy to do a presentation at Ozarkcon. I'm NOT AN EXPERT but I waded through the mess to figure out how to make it work. And once you cut through all the bull out there you'll find it's a neat way to communicate. Nothing beats RF but this is a worthwhile diversion when when RF isn't working so well. Would be great when your trying to setup QSOs too.
IMHO