Re: DMR information

Thomas Martin

I was looking on Amazon the non GPS model is 158.00 would that be a good price.

Tom Martin

On Sep 15, 2018, at 3:14 PM, Theodore Ladowski via Groups.Io <theothestargazer@...> wrote:

Thanks
I was sort of leaning towards the Anytone D868-uv also. I also think DMR is going to propagate in the USA

On Sat, Sep 15, 2018 at 15:01, Charles W. Powell via Groups.Io
<doctorcwp@...> wrote:
My radio is the Anytone D-868-uv, UHF/VHF DMR and analog.  I will freely admit that this is the only DMR radio I have used, but I chose it because it has crisp audio, and it will hold the entire DMR user database in the contact list.  I mention the TYT because those are cheap, ubiquitous, and the firmware has been hacked by hams to make it a little more suitable to our purposes.

The GPS doesn’t do a lot in the amateur radio implementation.  It can’t (to my knowledge) be used for APRS. It wasn’t a big selling point for me.  Apparently in commercial use it can be used to locate a “man down,” so we may see some changes in the amateur service usage, but I can’t say for sure.

Still waiting on a general response for our TalkGroup, but there’s no word as yet.

72,

Chas - NK8O

On Sep 15, 2018, at 3:52 PM, Theodore Ladowski via Groups.Io <theothestargazer@...> wrote:

Chad NK8O
Read your write up on DMR yesterday. Spent the rest of the day researching it on the Internet.  I think it's something I would be interested in.
Apon researching radio's you sugested the TYT and the Anytone. I noticed pros  and cons on each one. Also I see they also come in multi band. Have you personally used these radio's, if so which one do you prefer. I also see some have GPS capabilities.
Thanks Ted KB9SKP

On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 20:42, Charles W. Powell via Groups.Io
<doctorcwp@...> wrote:
It was brought to my attention that perhaps everyone on the list is not familiar with DMR, so i will do my best to give an explanation of what it is and what it does.

DMR = Digital Mobile Radio.   Essentially it is a radio that uses a digital voice encoding to optimize human speech for radio transmission.

So why would we want to use it?  Well, because it is also includes a way of accessing other radios and users world-wide through the internet, using inexpensive radios, and allows a number of ways to gain access.  DMR can "talk" or work through DMR repeaters in your area, or radio-to-radio, but the really exciting part of it is that there are now inexpensive "hotspots" that allow you use your home internet connection or mobile phone to access the network.  In the case of the Four States QRP group, it would allow us to have ad-hoc conversations regardless of where each of us is located, formal or informal nets, or even "spotting" nets to see who is on the air with frequencies, times, etc.  If our Talk Group is approved, we will have a platform for any or all of these activities, plus any others that fall within the realm of our amateur licenses.  (Even if it's not, there are other places we could congregate on DMR.)

I was skeptical about DMR until I got into it.  On the way to Dayton (Xenia) this year, I talked to hams along the way and even arranged to have lunch with a fellow ham in St. Louis.  There are folks who have more knowledge in their pinky finger than I have in my entire head.  I have spoken with Eric, 4Z1UG, as though he were next door. (Some of you might listen to his podcast, QSO Today).  I have done a lot of listening on the Baynet Talk Group, and picked up a lot of information that I would otherwise have had to spend hours researching.

Is there a downside?  Yes, sort of.  The radios are proprietary, so programming requires some planning and figuring out a "code plug" that will do what you want it to do and go where you want it to go. It also generally requires a computer and a cable for programming.  It is a bit more complicated than just entering a frequency and PL tone.  It's more that you have a target (Talk Group, or Individual), a "color code" (roughly equivalent to a PL tone), a time slot, so your radio knows which half of the conversation(s) it wants, and finally a frequency that allows you to get where you are going.  I didn't think it was going to be nearly as much fun though as I found it to be.

Is DMR Amateur Radio???  Well, yes and no.  It does involve RF, but it is also a voice-over-IP protocol using the Internet. I think of it more as a means to an end than "real radio." But in the end, Amateur Radio is about communicating and DMR does a good job of facilitating that.  Think of it as having a "local" repeater that any one of us can access at any time, regardless of our physical location.  That's why there is some excitement over the prospect of involving the Four States QRP folks in our own talk group.

If anyone has any questions, ask me and I will do my best to answer.  I'm not an expert, but hey - that's how we learn.

72,

Chas - NK8O

P.S. If you want to investigate prices, look at the most popular radios, such as the TYT MD-380 and the Anytone D868-uv.  For hotspots, check out the "OpenSpot" and look on HRO for "Zumspot"  I will stay away from others because I'm not as familiar with them.  Personally I have the Anytone and Zumspot. The Zumspot is based on a Raspberry Pi Zero, so the whole thing is about 1" x 1.5" x 2.75" or so.