Re: Today's the day 117 years ago

* On 2018 12 Dec 18:05 -0600, Wayne Dillon wrote:
On this day in 1901 Guglielmo Marconi
<https://www.history.com/topics/inventions/guglielmo-marconi> sent his
famous and successful successful transatlantic wireless transmission from
Poldu in England's county of Cornwall (Far SW point in England) to
Newfoundland In Canada.
It's a fascinating story to be sure and one we've all heard, but did it
really happen as thought? This article offers conjecture of what may
have really happened:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2001/dec/11/highereducation.news

The conjecture is that the planned frequency to use was in the lower
half of the present AM broadcast band and that these frequencies are
limited in the day time due to D layer absorption. At 12:30 PM
Newfoundland time almost the entire transatlantic path was in sunlight
but by 2:20 PM a good portion would have been in darkness and the sun
getting low in the sky at Newfoundland. Also, being very crude by
modern standards, the Cornwall transmitter may have been generating
harmonics well into the upper MW/lower HF spectrum. Likewise the
receiver at Newfoundland was hardly selective and with a 500 foot wire
may have been capable of receiving into the upper MW/lower HF range as
well. As a result of this conjecture it is conjectured that the he may
well have heard the intended signal but on frequencies far removed from
his intent!

From experience we know that 200 to 100 meters could very well have had
propagation beginning to open especially by 2:20 PM. Of course, we
don't know what the solar flux, K or A indices were for that day but it
is known that it was a period of minimum sunspots (like now) and that no
magnetic storms had taken place in the ten days prior (from:
https://books.google.com/books?id=0vTRMlzf3SoC&pg=PA95&lpg=PA95&dq=sunspots+december+1901&source=bl&ots=5mudvEGgdn&sig=jL34GH5OIXjwM3kSAz4mK6-QeXU&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjPnOed8pzfAhUIzoMKHXgsBrY4ChDoATAAegQICRAB#v=onepage&q=sunspots%20december%201901&f=false
), so something actually happening near our present 160m band--give or
take--seems most plausible to me.

72, Nate

Web: http://www.n0nb.us GPG key: D55A8819 GitHub: N0NB