Re: where is firmware for Hilltopper40

Charles W. Powell

Charlie,

The Hilltopper firmware is all pretty straight forward.  I made some simple modifications to mine and it works FB.  Sidetone frequency/offset, and tuning time are the things I changed. 5 seconds of tuning isn’t enough for my T1 tuner but 10 seconds is more than enough.

A couple of build tips:

  • Put R5, that falls right next to the pushbutton switch, on the bottom of the board.  It keeps it completely out of the way of the switch.
  • Watch out for the duplicate instruction on page 11 that tells you to install C54.  I was installed in a previous step.
  • Be careful installing C6.  The instructions say Install C6 - 10 (which I mistook for C6-C10.  Fortunately it was easy to fix.)
  • When assembling the case, use either a very hot iron at 850F with a chisel tip or an old style soldering gun.  And watch your fingers. It’s easy to get burned.
  • Personal preference: I put the sockets in but leave the IC installation for last.  Superstitious, I suppose.
  • Forgive me if you have done a lot of kit building, but if not, get a pair of flush cutters to nip the leads as close as possible.  You’ll not only appreciate from a neatness standpoint, but also if you make a mistake and you need to remove a part.
  • Finally for those of you like me who wander off task sometimes, this little item is worth its weight in gold: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002MJMXD4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  With this little gem I was able to remove some tiny caps and move them without even damaging one.  This is far superior to any others I have used.

72,

Chas - NK8O

On Dec 17, 2018, at 12:23 PM, Charlie Crapotta, NA2CC <pccmd@...> wrote:

TU 73
Happy Holidays 😃

On Dec 17, 2018, at 9:16 AM, Jim Pruitt <jpruitt67@...> wrote:

Hello Charlie.

You have the latest version of the firmware.  If you bought one of the first 100 kits (sold out in June as I recall) then you might have the older version but all of the kits I have shipped (since about September 1) have the new firmware version which matches the one posted to the files section of the Hilltopperkit group.

Thank you.

Jim Pruitt
WA7DUY

On 12/17/2018 5:48 AM, Charlie Crapotta, NA2CC wrote:
Thanks, Jim.....it seems I am now a member of HT subgroup.
BTW, how do I find out what firmware version I have....it shipped to me on 11/24
Charlie
NA2CC

On Dec 16, 2018, at 11:04 PM, Jim Pruitt <jpruitt67@...> wrote:

The easiest way is to send a message to this address:

HilltopperKit+subscribe@4SQRP.groups.io

or go to groups.io and search for groups (Find or create a group).  The name is Hilltopperkit

There are actually several sub groups under the main 4SQRP group.  Right now they are:
BayouJumperKit
CricketKit
DigitalFM
HilltopperKit
MuraniaKit
O17Kit
OzarkPartrolKit
SSB

For some reason not many people post to the sub group even though the subgroups were created to discuss a particular kit.  I assume each new kit will get a group created for it.  To subscribe to them the format is the same:
GroupName+subscribe at 4SQRP.groups.io

Good luck.

Jim Pruitt
WA7DUY

On 12/16/2018 10:25 PM, Charlie Crapotta, NA2CC wrote:
Ok, so how do I find the HT subgroup?