Note: groups.io will be down for maintenance this evening, starting at 11pm Pacific Time (6am Tuesday 8/3/2020 UTC), for up to two hours.
Re: where is firmware for Hilltopper40
toggle quoted messageShow quoted text
The Hilltopper firmware is all pretty straight forward. I made some simple modifications to mine and it works FB. Sidetone frequency/offset, and tuning time are the things I changed. 5 seconds of tuning isn’t enough for my T1 tuner but 10 seconds is more than enough.
A couple of build tips:
- Put R5, that falls right next to the pushbutton switch, on the bottom of the board. It keeps it completely out of the way of the switch.
- Watch out for the duplicate instruction on page 11 that tells you to install C54. I was installed in a previous step.
- Be careful installing C6. The instructions say Install C6 - 10 (which I mistook for C6-C10. Fortunately it was easy to fix.)
- When assembling the case, use either a very hot iron at 850F with a chisel tip or an old style soldering gun. And watch your fingers. It’s easy to get burned.
- Personal preference: I put the sockets in but leave the IC installation for last. Superstitious, I suppose.
- Forgive me if you have done a lot of kit building, but if not, get a pair of flush cutters to nip the leads as close as possible. You’ll not only appreciate from a neatness standpoint, but also if you make a mistake and you need to remove a part.
- Finally for those of you like me who wander off task sometimes, this little item is worth its weight in gold: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002MJMXD4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 With this little gem I was able to remove some tiny caps and move them without even damaging one. This is far superior to any others I have used.
Chas - NK8O
On Dec 17, 2018, at 12:23 PM, Charlie Crapotta, NA2CC <pccmd@...
Happy Holidays 😃
You have the latest version of the firmware. If you bought one of
the first 100 kits (sold out in June as I recall) then you might
have the older version but all of the kits I have shipped (since
about September 1) have the new firmware version which matches the
one posted to the files section of the Hilltopperkit group.
On 12/17/2018 5:48 AM, Charlie
Crapotta, NA2CC wrote:
Thanks, Jim.....it seems I am now a member of HT
BTW, how do I find out what firmware version I
have....it shipped to me on 11/24
The easiest way is to send a
message to this address:
or go to groups.io
and search for groups (Find or create a group). The name is
There are actually several sub groups under the main 4SQRP
group. Right now they are:
For some reason not many people post to the sub group even
though the subgroups were created to discuss a particular
kit. I assume each new kit will get a group created for
it. To subscribe to them the format is the same:
GroupName+subscribe at 4SQRP.groups.io
On 12/16/2018 10:25 PM, Charlie
Crapotta, NA2CC wrote:
Ok, so how do I find the HT subgroup?
Join main@4SQRP.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.