Re: FT-243 FUN!

KD5ALD

:)
I bet that is a really good book !
I would really like to read that !
I have always had a fascination with crystals !
Lots of crystals have the the month and year they were made !
I have some that have tape and in writing different military bases names on them !
Boy oh boy !
Just think of some of the communications that might have been made with those crystals :)
I was saying !
The trouble is !
I have a hard time explaining what I think !
We seem to be losing a lot of the history that has to do with the crystals we use !
Also I have some crystals made for interesting frequencies !
Like 5000 kc for instance :)
I really wonder what we were doing there then ??
Nevertheless Uncle Sam wanted his fighting men to have the ability to transmit !!!
In have/had a uncle who was a airborne radio op during the war !
The stories he would tell !
He was not a big fan of the vintage equipment though !
He would talk of the drift !
He was really a fan of the more modern equipment !
He also really liked SSB
I feel he had the right to though  !
He payed his dues with a heated suit and a cw key strapped to his leg :)
One more last bit of fodder !
I have not seen much that stands the test of time as a wartime crystal !
The ones I have opened were actually shiny inside !
After 70 years and still perfect !
A ft 243 crystal is really a quality product of the United States !

73

On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 7:45 PM n5ib_2 <n5ib@...> wrote:
A really interesting book, about the challenges Uncle Sam faced as he ramped up crystal production in the 40's, is

Crystal Clear, The struggle for reliable communications technology in World War II
Richard Thompson, Jr.; IEEE Press; Piscataway, NJ; 2007
ISBN 978-0-470-04606-7

N5IB