Re: MicroVert Antenna

John KK4ITX

Definitely not alone, many times things haven’t gone right during 75 years of messing around.  Big smiles when something works the first time, DIY if you can, might cost more in the end but you can write off the extra $$ to education !

John
Kk4itx

If you need a parachute and don't have one you probably won't need one again.

On Dec 28, 2018, at 19:10, N1KWW <bgrass2@...> wrote:

Thanks for letting me know I am not alone! This is my first attempt at building a kit. When/if successful can take my place among those who have gone before.

On Fri, Dec 28, 2018 at 10:04 PM Gary Kohtala via Groups.Io <gary.k7ek=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I've also done it. Somehow I wasn't paying attention and got an IC installed backwards in a wattmeter kit.   Removing the errant device is on top of my to do list,  along with getting my Hilltoppers built. I may install a socket this time around. Not sure if that would generate further problems down the road. I am going to bring in the new year with a deluxe hot air soldering station, the X-tronic #6040. This should aid my efforts to complete my wattmeter and Hilltopper construction. Wish me luck..

Happy new year!

Best regards,

Gary, K7EK

Sent from BlueMail
On Dec 28, 2018, at 10:21, Duane Brayton <dwbrayton@...> wrote:
We have all done it if we have done any building at all, so don't feel bad.

Sent from TypeApp
On Dec 28, 2018, at 1:13 PM, N1KWW < bgrass2@...> wrote:
Thanks, and I was being so careful!!!

On Fri, Dec 28, 2018 at 4:02 PM Duane Brayton < dwbrayton@...> wrote:
You have lost the mismounted semiconductor. Cut the leads with a flush sidecutter or xacto blade as close to the semiconductor as possible and tip it up or remove it.  That should allow you to remove the remaining leads from the thruholes with soldering iron & tweezers or push them out backwards.
Do not overheat and damage the PCB. Good luck.
Duane KE0IUV

Sent from TypeApp
On Dec 27, 2018, at 2:53 PM, N1KWW < bgrass2@...> wrote:
Previous wire antenna farm had loop for 160 roughly 560 feet. Competed with those running maximum power.
Yes, I was happy. Now everything is scaled down to a 43 foot dipole wrapped around three sides of building. When weather warms up will
put up an off center fed with 4-1 balun. (My spell check selected balloon, baling and blain)
Building a 20mm QRP rig and placed a semiconductor backwards. Have tried the usual methods, solder sucker and wick to no avail. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

On Thu, Dec 27, 2018 at 4:45 PM d balfour < davesters@...> wrote:
More wire has been good for me as well. My radios vary from 5w to about 70w max output. I insisted on having tuned antennas but gradually have deviated and gone to the more is better. Our (xyl is a ham too) latest creation is an 1150 foot horizontal loop fed into a homemade 4:1 current balun into coax back into a manual tuner.

It is at the same time quieter and gives better signal reports than my other antennas mostly dipoles and a 40 m loop.

I see (hear) hams who use and brag on air that everyone on 40 needs an amp or they don't belong. huh.

Sorry for deviating off topic Pretty hard to be portable except on the deck with a big loop.
73
Dave