Re: Looking for Wire Antenna Suggestions

tom martin <tecnician@...>

I have used a heavy duty spring attached to the tree with an eye bolt. The spring I used was from the hood of a car. Got it at a salvage yard not sure if cars have hood springs any more. If not a trip to the hardware store to find one but be sure you get a good heavy one as you will find a great deal of tension on the supporting rope. I used parachute cord which I bought at a surplus store it stood up well to the UV and the cold winters I had in Nebraska.

Tom

On Dec 30, 2018, at 11:08 AM, Tim McDonough N9PUZ <tim.n9puz@...> wrote:

One antenna here is an end fed wire. The feed point is around 50 ft but due to time constraints when it went up last Fall the far end slopes to around 15 ft and the support rope is tied off at about 10 ft in a large pine tree. At the 10 feet point the tree is thick enough it does not sway in the wind.

I would like to raise the far end of the antenna but of course the higher you go in the pine tree the more it sways when the wind blows. The wind blows often here in central Illinois!

Looking for low maintenance suggestions for adding a shock absorber of some sort in the rope that supports the far and. It isn't too practical to run the rope through a pulley and provide a weight to keep it taught but that isn't 100% out either. Has anyone had success adding a spring system, heavy duty bungee cord type absorber, or something else?

Happy New Year everyone!

73,

Tim N9PUZ