Re: 40m Net

Johnny AC0BQ

Hello Chas
Well, I snagged A Tn station on
My first CQ!
When you get back home we can give it a try at earlier time.
About the earliest I can make it is 7:00
Pm due to my late arrivals from work!
73
Stay Warm.
Johnny AC0BQ

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 8:17 PM Charles W. Powell via Groups.Io <doctorcwp=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Good idea Johnny.  Sorry I can’t be around to check tonight.  Funny thing: I have chatted with Paul WA9PWP just about every week before net time, and at least at my end, I have a great signal from him.  By the time the 80m net rolls around I even have difficulty copying Paul.  I think we should experiment with this because over the summer I regularly copied Paul N0NBD on 80m, who is about 70 miles south of me.  I haven’t heard Paul in MONTHS.  In fact, we had difficulty hearing each other to exchange SKCC numbers, so he wasn’t on my list at all last month.  It’s definitely a challenge.  Johnny AC0BQ is almost exactly the same distance, measuring out at 68 miles from my home in Louisburg.

72,

Chas - NK8O

On Jan 30, 2019, at 5:56 PM, Johnny Matlock <jomatlock@...> wrote:

Ge group
I'm listening at 3.564 just to see if I can detect any difference in 80 at a earlier time.
Call if you can we will give it a shot.

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 11:54 AM WA0ITP <wa0itp@...> wrote:
Good observations Chas, and FB coaching on the RF gain control.  Yes it's an excellent way to run a receiver.

Perhaps a solution for net time would be to specify Zulu and let CST and CDT wander around on their own.  IIRC, at one time, the 80M net began at 0130z, and the 40M net convened earlier, at 0100z I think.  Prop was better then tho.

Chas, I'd like to experiment on a new starting time, but I'll be out of town until mid, maybe late  Feb with no rig.  Perhaps others want to try out the bands at new times.

Another way of increasing checkins would be to post notes on various reflectors e.g QRP-L, QRP-Tech, KQ0RP, SLQS and any other groups that come to mind.

Let's keep plugging away and make the nets better.
72 WAØITP
I love this radio stuff.
On 1/30/2019 1:19 AM, Charles W. Powell via Groups.Io wrote:
Bill,

I think the problem is just at 40 meters is WAY too long at 2000 central during the winter. The net *might* work at 1900, and when I first started with these nets, the first one started at 1900.  The times were moved back for summer, because it was still daylight and the bands were too short, but they never were adjusted when winter came back around.  I think that was 2 years ago, but I wouldn’t swear to it.  Remember that over the summer, even though my logins were sporadic, I made it into just about every weekly net (when I was available) on both 40 and 80.  Then winter came with shorter days and the time change.  Effectively, we go around four hours later into darkness hours during the winter months.

So I know this only suggests a solution (different start time) that may or may not work with current band conditions.  If someone is available, I’d be happy to experiment with folks to see what times, if any, work, but I can’t do it this week because I am out of town.  I could be part of some experimentation next week on the 6th of February.  We could coordinate through the talkgroup.

Another *possible* change that won’t work for a lot of folks is to go to 160m.  I find 160 very challenging because 1) some of my radios don’t have that band, 2) antennas are a problem, and 3) the NOISE on 160 is impressive.

# Tangent.  The following is a tangent.  Stop now if you’ve already had enough! #

Having said all that, I discovered working last month that what “the old timers” say about dealing with noise.  We are all used to cranking the AF gain to try to hear signals.  That works fine on upper bands, but on 60, 80, and 160, the adjustment should be primarily through the RF gain.  Why? Let me put it this way: If you have S9 noise and you turn up the AF gain on the radio, the noise becomes overwhelming.  You know there is a signal that you can hear, but the noise is so loud, you can’t listen for more than a few minutes before you want to throw your headphones across the room.  If you reduce the RF gain to where the noise is at a tolerable level, then that signal is suddenly audible at a reasonable level over the noise.  You have optimized your signal-to-noise ratio by reducing the noise in the mix.  You might ask, “Doesn’t this reduce the sensitivity of the receiver?”  Well, yes, it does.  But if your noise is S-whatever, everything below that level is useless to you. So why amplify the noise and increase your level of fatigue?  The only thing to remember is to turn the RF gain back up when you change bands.  Otherwise you’ll think the front-end of your radio is blown!

The point?  Well, if you are trying to check into the 80 meter net, you know there are signals you can hear, and the noise is overwhelming, try this technique.

# End tangent #

72,

Chas - NK8O

On Jan 28, 2019, at 3:37 PM, Johnny Matlock <jomatlock@...> wrote:

Ge Bill
I have been considering moving the net to a earlier time slot.
I would be lucky to be home in time to call at 7:00?
What do you think about a time change?

On Mon, Jan 28, 2019 at 2:46 PM dekle <dekle@...> wrote:
Hello all.
I'm looking for someone to take over the 40m Wednesday Night CW Net.
I haven't had much luck lately and was wondering if someone else would be able to make more contacts than I have been able to.
Thanks.
Bill
KV6Z

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com