Kansas and New Jersey on the 40m Net?

dekle <dekle@...>

There were some really good responses (both on this reflector and on the Digital net) that addressed the problem with the Wednesday night 40m Net. Thank you everybody for your suggestions. I took a look at VOACAP and can clearly see that there is a very small window for reliable 40m communications for both close-in and distant stations at the same time. Take a look at the attached word document and you’ll see that the overlap for ≥ 80% reliability between my QTH and Kansas, and my QTH and New Jersey is between 2100z to 2345z. (The green line is 40m.) All stations were set to dipole antennas at 33 ft. and 5w power.

This poses a big problem.

Until conditions improve for us, there will be a conflict between operator availability and propagation.

2100z is 3 p.m. CST and 4 p.m. EST.

2345z is 5:45 p.m. CST and 6:45 p.m. EST.

Let’s try this as a one-time experiment:

I’ll call the 40m CW net 4 times this Wednesday and the results will help determine if a seasonal time change for the regularly scheduled net is warranted.

5 p.m. CST      (2300z)

6 p.m. CST      (0000z)

7 p.m. CST      (0100z)

8 p.m. CST      (0200z)

A QSO will be interpreted as a “vote” for that time. Please check into as many of these nets as you can.

I’ll be on or near 7122 kHz at 5w.

Remember - vote early and vote often.

73

Bill