Re: First soldering project

Rob <roomberg@...>

I had a lot of fun and learned a lot from building this receiver:
http://www.learnmorsecode.com/DC/index.html
Total components cost was about $6.
I spent more on batteries than I did on the parts.

and I used a 7.16 mHz ceramic resonator which tunes all over 40 meter CW without being rock bound.

Perhaps you may want to scratch build something instead of rely on kits.

On 02/02/2019 05:57 PM, d balfour wrote:
My wife ke0qfr wanted a project to practice soldering on. I suggested that she try the Pixie.

Seemed like most Chinese distributed kits contained a 7.023 mc crystal. Out of band for a General. We both scoured the web and found one on Ebay that includes a socket and a selection of crystals. https://www.ebay.com/itm/40M-CW-Pixie-Kit-transceiver-with-7-023-30-35-40-45-48-50-55MHz-FREE-SHIP/162514488637 The distributor is US based, should have delivery in a few days. I found an altoids tin a  case.

She has been working on ditties for some time and although she is not ready for much of a qso, is getting there.
73
Dave
k0mbt