First Cricket contact!

Gary E. Kohtala

I made my first Cricket 80a contact on February 3, 2019 @ 0221z with Grady, AJ4YA in North Carolina. I am in Kentucky.
The distance between us is approximately 437 miles. Grady was running 5w with a K3S to a dipole antenna. Interestingly,
this was a random contact. No spotting or prearranged schedule. Grady answered my CQ. We were in the midst of the weekend contest insanity, this time RTTY. I am very pleased to have finally made a contact. I am also hoping to eventually do so with my Cricket 30, if I can rid the receiver of shortwave broadcasts. That transmitter is getting out. I just cannot hear anything except religious broadcasters, which are apparently one megahertz or so lower.  I did find that a tuner helped that somewhat but not enough to hear any ham signals. Wish me luck.

Best regards,

Gary, K7EK

Radcliff, KY (EM77at)