Re: ADV: Re: [4SQRP] Hilltopper 40m

Dave Benson

David-

My experience has been that grounding the case of the last crystal (Y4) is sufficient.  Without the ground, the crystal case picks up Short-wave broadcast energy. That signal is then capacitively-coupled to the crystal plates, and presto- you've got music/religion with your CW!

I haven't found it necessary to ground Y4's case.

73- Dave, K1SWL

On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 12:31 AM N8DAH <Dherron@...> wrote:

I am not 100% if it did make a difference as I didn't make any measurements on it before/after. I have made more than a few filter stages where grounding them like that is pretty standard and good build procedure, granted in older oscillator variations where having them grounded is a good idea. Since this is based on the 5351 chip it may not play the same role.

I did it on this build as I took note of a well placed gnd via and said to myself "Can't hurt" so I did it. Since this was a build for another fellow I made sure to build this as if it were for myself.
--
David

  N8DAH

Kit-Projects.com