davemrtn

Jim,

I agree with you on the initial difficulty in understanding how to program DMR radios.

I was frustrated to no end when I started playing with a MD-380 and again later with the D868UV, but I kept plugging along, reading and trying things, finding what worked and what didn't.

Once I finally got my 'sea legs' so to speak, I am really enjoying what DMR and DMR networks have to offer for communication flexibility realizing of course the networking may not be something that can be relied on in a true disaster.

I have become quite comfortable programming codeplugs for the two radios I have.

Wherever I go, there He is.
Recycle, Reuse, Re-purpose, Repair
>Professional Sports - An activity for small minds<
!! There is a reason it is called "Sports Trivia" !!

On 2/19/2019 09:16, Jim Parks wrote:

I agree completely with KB9BVN. Even a lot of experience hams are having issues understanding the DMR concept let alone the complexities of programming a radio. Most people off the street who manage to buy one of these from Amazon or WalMart won’t have a clue how to set it up. The only thing that has happened is the Chinese have been able to produce some great radios for very cheap prices and beat the traditional ham equipment mfgs. to the market. I think it is a great step forward in that it allows someone, especially new hams who may not be flush with money, to get on the air in a meaningful way without having to spend a bundle for a radio from Kenwood, Yaesu or Icom. Granted some of the Chinese stuff is junk but several of the DMR handhelds such as the Anytone 868 and 878 are just as good  quality-wise an anything from the traditional mfgs.

De NY0J