Re: $2.00 Bills

Dwayne R

The 1943 steel pennies are worth about a dollar each in very good condition

If you find a 1943 copper penny,  they are worth well over 100,000 dollars.
Dwayne

On Mar 8, 2019 6:00 PM, "Brian Crittendon via Groups.Io" <aaa5mi@...> wrote:
The pennies were mad of steel. As kids we would pick them up with magnets.

On Friday, March 8, 2019, 2:15:07 PM EST, Jim Pruitt <jpruitt67@...> wrote:

I was in our local Fred Meyer (Kroger) store last week.  The older lady clerk commented to me that she had kept an old style $20 bill in her register for some time and decided to get rid of it.  She said she handed it to a younger (20 maybe) kid.  She said the customer came unglued and accused her or intentionally handing out counterfeit money!  She called her manager over who also tried to explain to the kid that it was in fact real money, just older but he refused to accept it and said he was going to report them to the police!

I am not a coin collector but suspect the old style $20 is worth more than $20 (maybe not much but still worth more to a collector).  I suspect the same thing would happen if someone these days received a 1943 penny (you know,  the ones that were not made out of copper but were made out of tin or something).  I will bet it will get thrown away like a Canadian penny would here since banks won't take them (at least most banks here won't accept Canadian coins or money).

Thank you.

Jim Pruitt
WA7DUY

On 3/8/2019 9:52 AM, Stephen Myers via Groups.Io wrote:
I am down here in Panama and when someone request a QSL card, they usually put money in it to cover the cost of postage. On two different occasions, I have rec $2.00 bills. I have them taped to my computer here in the "shack". I often wonder what the clerk would do if I tried to "pass" them! As I am not fluent in Spanish, I would have a hard time trying to explain my way out of the situation.

73's
Steve
de HP9SAM