Re: DMR at Ozarkcon

Frank Perkins

Hi Larry,
Yep, I agree, ham radio as developed over the years. Got my ticket at 14 in 1954. Many years of fun.
Just thought I'd relay my 78 year old understanding of the explanation I got when I asked about DMR.
Kinda like my understanding of FT8, a great thing for the low sunspot cycle.
Wow, who would have guessed everyone could type in a little preamble with call, location, and a few other tidbits, computer holds it, you push a start button and go to bed. All the computers control the rigs, search for qualifying contacts according to a selection criteria, calls cq, makes contact, exchanges pertinent information with the qualifying station's computer, compiles a log with contacts, signal strengths, etc., and prints out a tally sheet for your morning satisfaction, congratulating you on a job well done! :-)
Did I miss anything?
Frank

On Fri, Mar 15, 2019, 7:13 PM W6BOW via Groups.Io <DBuckter=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Great stuff Larry!
Hope we QSO sometime.
All best to you and yours.
Enjoying my Holltoper 20 and Ham Radio after years QRT to the MAX.
73
W6BOW
Don
San Francisco

On Mar 15, 2019, at 6:53 PM, Larry Hastings <larry7hastings7@...> wrote:

Hi Frank
Yes Frank, you are absolutely right.
Ham Radio is always changing. It started with a straight key and then along came the "bug's & keyers". How lazy can you get, and it was harder to adjust.  It didn't stop there. Along came AM, FM, SSB, SSTV, RTTY and 100 different kinds or Digital modes (FT-8, JT-65 etc.). My Ham Rig has 136 menu's and 5 ways to scan memory. I still just write the frequency down on a piece of paper and dial it in.
God blessed me with two girls, one was a piece of cake, the other one is 35 and I still don't understand her, but I still love her. I also use the internet every day but have no idea why we need https://. I think it's some kind of code.
DMR may last or it may not. But our hobby is one where you can always learn something new. Even an old dog like me. 73
Larry  AB0AH