Re: DMR at Ozarkcon

W0EAX

Frank
Having just retired as an IT Manager and been involved with networks, government radio systems and cellphones, I see a lot of truth in which you write. Having been a ham operator since 1957, I have witnessed many operating system changes. I don’t see to much fairy dust in your writing. Case in point, Echo Link (networking), the J Modes, FT8, once again computer networking(my thoughts) and we now have cellphones that are also being used as 2 meter/440 transceivers.
Your writing was very clever.
I have a camera that sometimes makes telephone calls ( i7 Plus)
Ron, W0EAX

On Mar 16, 2019, at 1:36 PM, jleahy00 via Groups.Io <jleahy00@...> wrote:

I thought Frank’s definition so funny I sent it out to the 3 local clubs that I belong to..... believe it or not some thought Frank was serious !

It is close though ?

John
KK4ITX

If you need a parachute and don't have one you probably won't need one again.

On Mar 16, 2019, at 12:32, Frank Perkins <N6CES.r@...> wrote:

Good morning Gary,
I was just joking around while sorting out all the wire jumpers in my rigblaster duo.
I thought I'd thrown enough fairy dust in my story to make it funny, but not believable.  Maybe not.
Frank

On Sat, Mar 16, 2019, 8:35 AM Brian Crittendon via Groups.Io <aaa5mi=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Maybe we should all have plans to make a spark gap transmitter for the day the space aliens come and use EMP to shut us down. Like in the movies. Grin

On Saturday, March 16, 2019, 2:25:25 AM EDT, Walter - K5EST <walter.k5est@...> wrote:

Well now I have a little radio in the works.....some call a SOB (shack on a belt)
and it also has a do-dad that tells me where I be at.......well I paid $200 bucks
to have a thing tell me where I am AT.......sheesh! It oughta have a deal that
can read my mind (the clean thoughts anyway) and talk to whoever is on the
other end of the QSO.

This thing, SOB, don't even have a hose connect to use my straight key or
Bug. It also don't do that FT8 deal, guess cuz their ain't no keyboard. I miss
RTTY and wonder where it ran off to?

Ham Radio is just not movin forward but now sideways.......yup, very soon
newbies can just jump in the InteruptNet and get their Ham license. Now, ain't
that where loosing control that made the CB thing gone sideways?

Maybe it's time to clean the contacts on the Spark transmitter so the sun
will not bother my transmissions :-)

Walter Dufrain - K5EST - Coordinator OzarkCon 2019
 An ARRL approved  Specialty Operating Convention

On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 10:39 PM Gary Kohtala via Groups.Io <gary.k7ek=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Frank,

FT8 does not work like that. Whoever told you that does not know what he is talking about.
I use FT8 almost daily. In all cases an operator must be at the computer to initiate contacts
and to respond according to what the other station sends. There is nothing automatic about it.
There are programmable scripts similar to macros that make the job a lot easier but the op
must still be there throughout the contact. If you would like to really become knowledgeable about
FT8 (and other JT modes), please peruse this link:  http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjtx-doc/wsjtx-main-2.0.1.html.
Whoever gave you that explanation of FT8 is apparently afraid of something that he does not understand it, so FT8 gets
attacked. That is sad, indeed.

Best regards,

Gary, K7EK