Re: Getting good to go ...

W6BOW

Tom K0AMD,

For me the mini60 has been a most helpful addition to my "test bench".
Some years ago I built a 30 Meter station - Xmtr/Rcvr - based on circuits drawn from ARRL's "Solid State Design, for the Radio Amateur" by the venerable Wes Hayward, W7ZOI and Doug DeMaw, W1FB.
My most advanced piece of test gear at that time was the Heath Kit  solid state dip meter.

I find the mini60 helpful for a variety of purposes not least for adjusting my antenna(s) to minimum SWR at their feed points. After that I use a tuner to match the coax/balanced line at the xmtr output.
The mini60 battery life doesn't seem great. Just be mindful to have it fully charged before you "climb the ladder".

(While on this subject I have a question. I can adjust my antenna (trim the length/experiment with counterpoise length and positioning) to achieve quite acceptable SWR levels of 2:1 or lower. Using my tuner at the rig I can lower the SWR to 1:1. Signals sound stronger when I bypass the tuner but is that due to noise and not signal levels. Sometimes my power output reads higher than when I bypass the tuner to the antenna directly.)  When does it matter and when does it not matter when/if I bypass the tuner. Why?)

So much sophisticated yet reasonably priced tools are available these days. I own a Tektronix 2430 scope which I purchased a few years ago for "cheap" on e-Bay. I haven't found the time yet to fire it up. Looking through the adds for modern day test gear (at reasonable prices new) I've wondered if it would be worth breaking out the old 2430. Why not go for a current and quite possibly more accurate and with many more "bells and whistles" test "appliance"?

There is a lot to be said (not everything mind you) for simplicity. QRP operation is a prime example. It allows us to get down and dirty with the fundamentals of the art and science of radio. That's why I will attempt to get my 2430 up and running. Even if I fail I'll still have learned a lot in the process. Maybe the mini60 has been out there long enough now to make them widely/cheaply available used. If you've never used an antenna analyzer before, this could be your opportunity. I haven't even used many of my mini60 features yet including interfacing with a computer.

These are just one ham's personal opinions. Goals not imperatives. Ham Radio is a river broad and deep. We stand on the shoulders of giants whomever we are and regardless of our expertise.

73

Don-W6BOW
San Francisco CA  USA