Re: How do I best operate a 4S-Tuner with a Doublet antenna ?

KB9BVN - <kb9bvn@...>

Sounds like a Norcal Doublet....

4S tuner is designed to work best with random wire antennas.

But I'd try it anyway.

On Sat, Apr 13, 2019 at 10:23 PM Bob KM6BMX <km6bmx@...> wrote:
Hello,

  I plan to operate my 4S-Tuner with a 40m "Doublet" antenna.  The doublet has two 1-wire legs, 22 feet each, with a 28 foot 2-wire feedline, which I assume is "balanced". (See URLs below for details).

  I have 2 questions.

    I recently re-read the manual, which states the following:  "With an external balun it will also match antennas with balanced feedlines."  However, there are 2 binding posts that share the same internal circuit connection as the output BNC connector ("ANT").

  Q1:  Can I just connect the "balanced" 2-wire feedline directly to the posts, picking one as the "antenna" and the other as "ground"?

  On a related note, it seems that the 4S-Tuner is geared primarily towards high-impedance antennas, such as EFHW.

  Q2:  How does it perform with an antenna with an impedance close to the nominal 50 ohms?

  Thanks much for your insights!

Cheers & 73,
Bob KM6BMX
--  central AZ