Re: Anti Static soldering mats

John KK4ITX

I had problems following the links.  I went to Amazon and searched for Bertech Rubber ESD and there you go........ all kinds of choices.

Thanks Bill for that info, used these years ago but here in Florida especially during the summer there’s not much static if you’re shop isn’t air conditioned!!  I may get the 18 x 24 one for my winter projects.

John
KK4ITX

If you need a parachute and don't have one you probably won't need one again.

On Apr 15, 2019, at 18:39, W4OED <w4oed@...> wrote:

Hi there,

I sensed that there was a bit of confusion regarding ESD mats and I would
like to clarify a few things, if I may. BTW, I work at an electronics
equipment factory and I wear an ESD wrist wrap and an ESD lab coat when
writing and verifying the testing procedures for our products.

The Craft E Mat may be good as a work bench protector and components
gathering device, but it is not ESD compliant.

Here you have an example of a true ESD mat:

https://www.amazon.com/Bertech-Temperature-Rubber-Wrist-
Grounding/dp/B01KT3YPPS/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?
crid=WH16OYYVTSYC&keywords=esd+mat+kit+with+a+wrist+strap+and+grounding+cord
&qid=1555363698&s=gateway&sprefix=ESD+mat%2Caps%2C200&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

In any event, ESD compliant mats and wrist straps are only necessary when
working with ESD sensitive devices, such as MOSFET transistors, computer
ICs, RAM memory sticks, some LEDs (laser and UV), and CMOS ICs. Most TTL
ICs
and bipolar transistors are quite resilient to ESD.

For the most part, when the ESD sensitive devices are soldered or connected
to the PCB, they become more resilient to ESD. When the PCB carrying those
devices is connected to the rest of the equipment, only some I/O ports may
still be ESD sensitive.

ESD compliant mats have a high-resistance top layer that dissipates static
electricity by sending it to a ground connection. This ground can be the
ground terminal of a nearby ac socket or a dedicated low-resistance earth
ground rod. The wrist strap works in a similar fashion.

73!

Original email:
-----------------
From: wohlsson . wohlsson@...
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2019 21:00:45 -0400
To: main@4sqrp.groups.io
Subject: Re: [4SQRP] Anti Static soldering mats

Opps...forgot the link

https://www.amazon.com/Craft-Mat-Oversize-Worry-
Silicone/dp/B07GBFRCJY/ref=sr_1_1?
keywords=craftemat&qid=1555288975&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Bill...wa8bda

utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-
email&utm_content=webmail&utm_term=icon>
Virus-free.
utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-
email&utm_content=webmail&utm_term=link>
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

On Sun, Apr 14, 2019 at 8:58 PM wohlsson . via Groups.Io <wohlsson=
gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Yes, these silicone mats are nice for bench work/kit building. I have been
using the one
below now for a few months. Grand kids orginally bought one for craft
projects and I was
attracted to the large 1/2" sides to contain things. Also the large
working area allow me to
also place test equipment/tools on the work area and still have lots of
space. I use a anti-static
wrist band when needed.

Bill.....wa8bda

utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-
email&utm_content=webmail&utm_term=icon> Virus-free.
utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-
email&utm_content=webmail&utm_term=link>
<#m_1504296041646331162_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

On Sun, Apr 14, 2019 at 6:55 PM Tim McDonough N9PUZ <tim.n9puz@...>
wrote:

We have rolls of material that look similar at work. They cut it to size
for the work area but then the corner gets punched and a snap terminal
installed which has a lead connecting it to ground.

I've been starting to look for a small anti-static mat for my home bench
and these that were mentioned look nice since they have the raised edge
help keep things from escaping.

Tim N9PUZ

On 4/14/2019 5:05 PM, AG1P Ron wrote:

I was wondering same thing - From Amazon page -

★This is silicone anti static mat, but its just static resistant, If
you
want ESD protection with your body, you can use it with an anti static
wrist band

72 - Ron - AG1P