Re: Anti Static soldering mats

W4OED

Hi there,

My apologies for responding to this posting after having responded to a
much
later one before.

I did investigate the Kaisi S-140 mat offered by Amazon.

Not only it is neat, it is also very well designed.

However, it is NOT ESD compatible.

Even the product description says so:

"Attention:

★This is silicone anti static mat, but its just static resistant, If
you
want ESD protection with your body, you can use it with an anti static
wrist
band."

If you have one of these mats and want to handle static sensitive boards or
devices, get an ESD compatible wrist strap (https://www.amazon.com/s?
k=ESD+wrist+strap&i=tools&ref=nb_sb_noss_2).

Just make sure to connect it to the ground terminal of the nearest ac
outlet
and wear it whenever you handle ESD sensitive items.

BTW, I ordered the Kaisi S-140 magnetic mat and a couple of ESD wrist
straps. Sweet!

73!

Original email:
-----------------
From: Virginia R Smith virginia@...
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2019 14:02:36 -0500
To: 4SQRP@groups.io
Subject: [4SQRP] Anti Static soldering mats

Hi Everybody!

It's Virginia NV5F

I met some of you guys at Ozarkcon and had a great time! I hope I can make
it back next year.

During the kit building Joe and I were using these nifty blue silicone
soldering mats. I think there will be something on them in April CQ.

Anyway I was asked to provide information on them here. I actually head
about them from Bob Heil on Ham Nation. Apparently Heil Sound has started
using them. They are used by technicians to repair cell phones and small
electronics but they work great for building kits! They are good for ESD
and
aren't affected by hot solder. They also have magnets that will hold little
parts in place until they are needed. The magnets also help the mat stick
a cookie sheet!

And I got them on Amazon!

Kaisi S-140 magnetic insulation soldering mat

They come in several sizes. The S-140 fits perfect in a medium steel cookie
sheet from Wal Mart! And I find that when it gets overrun with leads and
solder blobs you can clean it off with a piece of masking tape. And if you
need to move your work just pick up the cookie sheet. Also the silicone
makes for a nice quiet work surface.

Hope this helps everyone have even more fun building stuff!

Hope to see some of y'all in Dayton.

72
Virginia NV5F

mail2web LIVE ? Free email based on Microsoft? Exchange technology -
https://link.mail2web.com/LIVE