Re: Anyone else watch "Young Sheldon" on CBS?

W4OED

I think that the producers had to show an "antenna" of some kind so non-radio viewers would recognize it as such. When I was in high school (late 60s), one of my classmates came home because he wanted to see my ham radio antenna. When I showed him my half-wave dipole with ladder feedline, he could not believe that something that simple could allow me to communicate with other ham operators. Hence, I showed him my "other" antenna, a beautiful wooden-frame loop antenna that I had inherited along with an old galena radio. That one did fit his idea of a "real" antenna and he later left, very satisfied with his finding. Some people seem to prefer preconceptions to reality, it seems.