Re: 3D Printing

Charles Wells

For the past year I have been using a Taz6, courtesy of my employer (it was handed to me one day with the dictum to figure out how to make it work.)  It works well, and in general is pretty glitch free.

I'll second the admonition to use quality filament.  We made the mistake of buying some cheap PLA, and had no end of troubles (clogged nozzles, gloppy extrusion, inconsistent heat requirements, etc.).  Quality filament makes a world of difference.

A heated bed and good print surface make a difference too.  I have taken to printing on 'bare' glass as I was having a lot of adhesion problems with the PEI coating supplied on the original bed.

Best of fortune
Chas AD0UY

On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 11:54 AM N8DAH <Dherron@...> wrote:

I have used a few printers.

I currently use a Ender3 but unlike KR0NS I got way more than I paid for. I have added a few mods to it like a BLtouch and it works great. The overall print quality of any printer is based on more than just the printer.

You will have a learning curve to get the settings right, line width, line height and more.

The filament is another big factor in prints. I have tested more than a few and have found Esun and HatchBox to be worth the 2-3$ over the cheap stuff. Inland has been o.k. too just stay away from amazon basics they are very hit or miss.

The slicer you choose can also make a difference from a good experience and a bad one. I have been using cura and its a good starting software but I will be moving to simplified 3d very soon.

If you take your time learn the machine and what settings do what you will have a good time with them.

In the current market you can get into a solid printer for under 300$. The "you get what you pay for" is not always true in the printing world, just do your research and find one that fits your budget and has a good community.

The DaVinci line has had issue over the years, so has some of the monoprice printers. If I had to buy one again it would be another creality ender or CR10 they are very good and can load custom firmware which is a huge bonus.

David

  N8DAH

Kit-Projects.com

Shop now open!