Re: Field Day

John KK4ITX

Chuck,

If I was part of the rule making committee the increasing weight for scoring would be Digital , SSB (or other phone), Satellite, then CW..... however each venue sets their rules and I guess we have a choice..... play or not.

Your points however are spot on because every other mode requires far more skills than any digital mode although the setup may take some finesse initially, the point scoring should not be the same as CW....... IMHO, but ARRL needs to address it I think.

I have been around microcomputers since ‘75, love ‘em but they are not radio and the clicking on some of the modes reminds me of playing “PONG”.....never liked the game.

73,

John
KK4ITX

If you need a parachute and don't have one you probably won't need one again.

On Jun 23, 2019, at 23:06, chuck adams <chuck.adams.k7qo@...> wrote:

Out of 52 Qs I had 6 1E contacts.  I was doing 1B with a 5W S/N 001 from a park
5 blocks from the lab.  Started on 20m at local sunset when the band opened up.
Repeat on Sunday a.m.

I got 22 states and N7WY couldn't hear me this a.m.  No DX worked, but heard.

But, I might bring up the following question and squash me if I am wrong.
Do you believe that a digital operator should be given the same per QSO
points as a CW operator?    Should not the CW op be given some credit for
the time and energy in on learning a skill that is not done without a (*&*)(*
computer?  I put this in the same category as 'dumbing down' the skill
level of the ham population.  Go  for the bucks.

For your consideration from a grumpy old guy.

chuck, k7qo

On 6/23/19 5:28 PM, Paul Goemans wrote:
Yes,
  I noticed the same. It’s getting easier with the available power gates and better batteries/ quieter generators these days!

Paul Goemans WA9PWP
Stoughton, WI